Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

foxglove and delphiniums

Sonya2Sonya2 Posts: 19
I planted some fox glove and delphinium seeds in June to grow in my mini greenhouse in a seed tray, about 3 weeks ago I potted them in small pots and kept them in the greenhouse but they haven't grown much - they haven't died but they're still only about 3-4 inches high. Should I attempt to plant them outside if they get a bit bigger or should I just keep them going in the greenhouse til spring? Thanks - haven't grown anything from seed before (except easy grow annuals - which sre blooming nicely!)

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409
    Different answers for each image. I put seed grown foxgloves in the ground in their first autumn, but grow delphiniums on in pots (keep moving them up a size when you can see roots poking out the bottom of the pot) until the frosts have passed next spring.
  • Sonya2Sonya2 Posts: 19
    Thanks chicky! Should I wait until the foxglove roots are out the bottom of the pots before I put them in the ground?
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409
    I'd wait until the autumn, when you know they are not going to be short of water to settle in. If you can see roots out the bottom of the pot before then, then I would move them to the next pot size - the bigger they are when it comes to planting time, the better.
    Great - thanks!
  • I'd wait till spring but then if I planted anything out up here I know it would be frozen to death come October and most likely covered in snow by November till February.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I potted on my small foxgloves and planted out the following year when they were a decent size. Same kind of reasons as NLass although more wet and cold here....and hundreds of slugs ready to pounce! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    I'm in Southampton so fairly mild - I'll see what size they are in Sept. Anyway I have loads so can always do half n half!

Thanks for your help guys!
  • Hi guys just popping in on this thread my demolitions and foxgloves are just ready to collect seed from am I too late to start them off or would it be wiser to wait untill the spring 

• Sorry silly auto text it should read delphiniums image

• mushermusher Posts: 389
    basal cuttings from established Delphiniums may be a quicker way to establish your aims