London (change)
Today 19°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
6 messages
17/10/2013 at 20:27

This summer I planted some foxglove seeds and they have thrived with the odd exception - I now hear we are expecting a severely ccccooooldd  winter and am worried they will not overwinter to flower next summer.  I believe they are perennials so if I plant them out now while it is mild, will a layer of leaves protect them enough to allow the roots to keep growing and have a successful show next year or have I completely messed up!

17/10/2013 at 20:31

Foxgloves are biennials, and are hardy. Get them in their final positions now, and they will grow a bit before it gets really cold, and then start again in spring.

17/10/2013 at 20:33

Foxgloves are as tough as old boots - plant them out and don't worry about them.  They will disappear in the winter and appear again in the spring.  They have been doing it for aeons - no winter has beaten them yet 

17/10/2013 at 20:33

They are totally hardy, best to get them in the ground now

17/10/2013 at 20:35

Some foxgloves are perennials but the ones most often grown in UK gardens are biennials which means they germinate and grow basal rosettes one year then grow bigger, flower, set seed and die the second year.

The native biennial ones and their variations are very hardy so should be planted out asap in tehir final positions.   I find the perennial ones can be short lived so last just 3 or 4 years and they aren't as hardy so, to survive winter here in an exposed part of central Belgium, they need to be in a sheltered spot in my garden.

17/10/2013 at 20:54

Thank you all so much I can now plant them out at the weekend without fear!  Glad you were here to help.

email image
6 messages