Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Foxglove cuttings - anyone tried it?

LordswoodLordswood Posts: 59

Two of my last years largest foxgloves are still standing and have produced loads of small healthy plantlets all up the stem. Has anyone ever tried to take these as cuttings. I really liked the colour of the parent plant's flowers. I know how easy they are from seed - they're everywhere, but I like a challenge. If anyone knows if it can be done please let me know.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

easier from seed for me, useless at cuttings.

but do the experiment and let us knowimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Yes, I would be keen to see how that worksimage

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I have never seen that, could you show a photo please.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I have had lupins do this but not foxgloves. Try laying down, preferrably still connected to the plant, pin if necessary, partially cover with sharp sand and see if they root. The lupin plantlets rooted fine but this is not unusual I think.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Could one do it with Holly Hocks as it is so difficult to get seeds for the single flowering varieties in the more subtle colours?

• GillianBCGillianBC Posts: 121

Did it work?  My foxgloves have just done the same - lots of miniature plants about 6" high.  I've put some in a nursery bed, some in a pot and will also try some in a pot with a bit of rooting hormone.  I'm guessing they'll grow otherwise why would the plant make them?

• I've tried growing from seedimage they took weeks to germinate and are now out of the propagator and in the conservatory they have four leaves but are still only about half inches tall. Not sure at what stage to plant Does such a tall plant come from a tiny start? Or do you think mine are bonsaiimage

Foxglove seedlings are tiny. They're also biennial and I set them later in the season to flower next year.

• Hi Nutcutletimage do you suggest I keep them indoors until later then? They are in modules at the moment will they get big enough to put into potsimage

They will grow, don't know when they'll flower. Next year probably

Foxgloves are usually sown later in the season to germinate in summer, stand over winter and flower the following year.

Foxgloves don't need propagators and indoors. They're hardy plants