Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 45 replies

My foxglove illumination pink plants are growing apace over this winter. I have high hopes they will be large by the time I plant them out in the garden in the spring. I have potted on twice....second time today....and they seem eager to grow vigorously. Have others found these plants to be so vigorous?
ThaiGer

I think it's to late now, but encourage new growth of it by cutting flowering stems down to the ground. Flowers usually appear late springthrough the summer.Best luck, ThaiGer

Hiya ThaiGer. Thanks. These are brand new plants first shown at Chelsea last year. Supposed to be truly perennial. I guess your weather is bit warmer than ours at this time.
ThaiGer

...you a lucky man...many pot-plants we have to plant out, after every season change (Oct.and June) we give them wormtea in the first 3 years, it's realy a good alternative to "normal" invigoration of flower plants...greetings, ThaiGer.

Lyn
Perennial fogloves would be good. I have some of the apricot ones as seedlings, but i think they are only the biennial type , I love the new colours now.

Advertisement

flowering rose

I like growing fox-gloves and might try a perennial type this year,I love to see them in a group in a border.

There was a thread earlier about these perennial foxgloves but I think these are a different type, viz., bushier, summer-long flowering and truly perennial. And the colour is good too. Mine were bought in the autumn but are growing like mad...potted twice already.......so I think they will make good show in the summer
Island gardener
Verdun wrote (see)
There was a thread earlier about these perennial foxgloves but I think these are a different type, viz., bushier, summer-long flowering and truly perennial. And the colour is good too. Mine were bought in the autumn but are growing like mad...potted twice already.......so I think they will make good show in the summer

Yes, you are correct.  They are a new cross.  I have just the other day ordered some from the Gardeners' World Magazine.  There was a special offer, which finishes at the end of this month (Jan).  Wish I had ordered them a bit earlier though.  I suppose the only thing to be careful of, is not to pull them out when they finish, if they are anywhere near ordinary foxgloves.  Maybe need to put a label on them.  June

Yes June, put in labels. I put in couple very short sticks too to mark where things are. However, I have a feeling illumination pink may be fairly evergreen.

Im still waiting for mine to be delivered, should have been with me last sept/october. So hopefully wont be too mlong befre they are with me

Matty2

Still waiting for mine from the autumn order as well. Hope they are as good as they say.

I was going to pot one up as Christmas pressie for a friend, hopefully she can have it for Easter 

I saw the foxgloves at Chelsea last year and they are beautiful. Still waiting

Matty2

Big news is that my foxglove illumination, ordered in October have arrived today. I will pot them up and leave them in my cold greenhouse.

Has anyone any over winter problems with these new plants?

Yes. I bought some last summer and put them in the garden. I suppose they grew to about 5-6". No sign of them this spring. Located in Co.Durham, I know the winter has been grim but I don't think that the frosts were particulularly severe last winter in this area. I still want them but I will be treating them differently this time - keeping them in 2/3 litre pots in the ground and overwintering the pots in a cold greenhouse. Anybody any other ideas?

Mine are in pots amd look fine. Will pot up Imto 3 litres before plantImg out in their final positions. I have high hopes for,them

Advertisement

Hiya Verdun

Once planted out, is it your intent to leave them out  in their final position? What area are you in?                        

Hiya mvl
Yes I want to plant them ..hopefully,...as permanent plants.
In sw Cornwall and on good loamy light soil.
I tend to be tempted by new plants....some are good others not.
I think illumination pink will be a good addition this summer but time will tell if they are truly perennial. When I,bought them,they were not expensive...on offer...so not a great risk
I prob will dig up one plant after flowering and pot up as back up
Matty2

Mine, who are looking good, will go in a big pot to brighten up my shady patio/courtyard. They are looking healthy.

Hiya Verdun

Big difference in climate!

I've come to the conclusion that that my plants may have been a bit too immature to survive the winter but having said that I have plenty of small ordinary self seeded digitalis that have got through.

I think I will follow your practice with my next batch. Your tip about saving a whole plant for backup rather than messsing about with cuttings is useful.

. Enjoy your blooms this summerI. If you can think on I would love to hear how you fare with them over the next winter.

Many thanks for you response and advice.

Hi Matty2

Will you be bringing your pot in over the winter?