London (change)
Thu 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
18/01/2013 at 23:33
My foxglove illumination pink plants are growing apace over this winter. I have high hopes they will be large by the time I plant them out in the garden in the spring. I have potted on twice....second time today....and they seem eager to grow vigorously. Have others found these plants to be so vigorous?
19/01/2013 at 07:54

I think it's to late now, but encourage new growth of it by cutting flowering stems down to the ground. Flowers usually appear late springthrough the summer.Best luck, ThaiGer

19/01/2013 at 08:17
Hiya ThaiGer. Thanks. These are brand new plants first shown at Chelsea last year. Supposed to be truly perennial. I guess your weather is bit warmer than ours at this time.
19/01/2013 at 08:46

...you a lucky man...many pot-plants we have to plant out, after every season change (Oct.and June) we give them wormtea in the first 3 years, it's realy a good alternative to "normal" invigoration of flower plants...greetings, ThaiGer.

Lyn
19/01/2013 at 10:09
Perennial fogloves would be good. I have some of the apricot ones as seedlings, but i think they are only the biennial type , I love the new colours now.
20/01/2013 at 14:04

I like growing fox-gloves and might try a perennial type this year,I love to see them in a group in a border.

20/01/2013 at 15:46
There was a thread earlier about these perennial foxgloves but I think these are a different type, viz., bushier, summer-long flowering and truly perennial. And the colour is good too. Mine were bought in the autumn but are growing like mad...potted twice already.......so I think they will make good show in the summer
23/01/2013 at 01:00
Verdun wrote (see)
There was a thread earlier about these perennial foxgloves but I think these are a different type, viz., bushier, summer-long flowering and truly perennial. And the colour is good too. Mine were bought in the autumn but are growing like mad...potted twice already.......so I think they will make good show in the summer

Yes, you are correct.  They are a new cross.  I have just the other day ordered some from the Gardeners' World Magazine.  There was a special offer, which finishes at the end of this month (Jan).  Wish I had ordered them a bit earlier though.  I suppose the only thing to be careful of, is not to pull them out when they finish, if they are anywhere near ordinary foxgloves.  Maybe need to put a label on them.  June

23/01/2013 at 08:07
Yes June, put in labels. I put in couple very short sticks too to mark where things are. However, I have a feeling illumination pink may be fairly evergreen.
23/01/2013 at 10:44

Im still waiting for mine to be delivered, should have been with me last sept/october. So hopefully wont be too mlong befre they are with me

23/01/2013 at 11:14

Still waiting for mine from the autumn order as well. Hope they are as good as they say.

I was going to pot one up as Christmas pressie for a friend, hopefully she can have it for Easter 

29/01/2013 at 10:40

I saw the foxgloves at Chelsea last year and they are beautiful. Still waiting

22/02/2013 at 09:48

Big news is that my foxglove illumination, ordered in October have arrived today. I will pot them up and leave them in my cold greenhouse.

Has anyone any over winter problems with these new plants?

mvl
18/04/2013 at 19:18

Yes. I bought some last summer and put them in the garden. I suppose they grew to about 5-6". No sign of them this spring. Located in Co.Durham, I know the winter has been grim but I don't think that the frosts were particulularly severe last winter in this area. I still want them but I will be treating them differently this time - keeping them in 2/3 litre pots in the ground and overwintering the pots in a cold greenhouse. Anybody any other ideas?

18/04/2013 at 20:17
Mine are in pots amd look fine. Will pot up Imto 3 litres before plantImg out in their final positions. I have high hopes for,them
mvl
18/04/2013 at 22:24

Hiya Verdun

Once planted out, is it your intent to leave them out  in their final position? What area are you in?                        

19/04/2013 at 00:09
Hiya mvl
Yes I want to plant them ..hopefully,...as permanent plants.
In sw Cornwall and on good loamy light soil.
I tend to be tempted by new plants....some are good others not.
I think illumination pink will be a good addition this summer but time will tell if they are truly perennial. When I,bought them,they were not expensive...on offer...so not a great risk
I prob will dig up one plant after flowering and pot up as back up
19/04/2013 at 13:11

Mine, who are looking good, will go in a big pot to brighten up my shady patio/courtyard. They are looking healthy.

mvl
19/04/2013 at 13:16

Hiya Verdun

Big difference in climate!

I've come to the conclusion that that my plants may have been a bit too immature to survive the winter but having said that I have plenty of small ordinary self seeded digitalis that have got through.

I think I will follow your practice with my next batch. Your tip about saving a whole plant for backup rather than messsing about with cuttings is useful.

. Enjoy your blooms this summerI. If you can think on I would love to hear how you fare with them over the next winter.

Many thanks for you response and advice.

mvl
19/04/2013 at 13:24

Hi Matty2

Will you be bringing your pot in over the winter?

1 to 20 of 28 messages