London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
17 messages
04/05/2014 at 15:17

I bought a pack of Foxglove seeds the other day and have sown them in compost inside a covered propagator.On the seed packet it said to sprinkle the seeds and cover them with a very fine layer of compost.However on googling this,it recommended not covering the seeds because they require light to germinate,so I've done the latter but gave them a fine water spray to bed them in.This is the first time I've ever grown foxgloves from seed,has anyone else any experience or handy tips regarding this lovely plant?

04/05/2014 at 16:43

It's a bit hard to stop them growing - I tend to just sprinkle the seeds on the garden where I want them to grow, then thin them out next spring 

04/05/2014 at 18:19

Hi Dove, thank you.I'm trying to give them a head start due to having a ball-obsessed black lab charging around the garden  One sunflower has already been snapped off like a carrot.I can't blame our lab cos its just another plant coming out of the ground to her.

I'm hoping to get to that stage where I'm having to stop them growing 

Lyn
04/05/2014 at 18:32

They definitely dont want a propagator, they prefer to germinate in cooler conditions.  I have dozens around my garden all from seeds, some wild, some from packets, white and pink.

I dont see how you will stop them growing, easy from seed and pop up everywhere in the garden as Dove says.

04/05/2014 at 18:49

Hi Lyn, thanks for your reply.When I say propagator its basically a seed tray with plastic cover.It isn't heated and will remain at room temperature.

11/05/2014 at 20:25

My little darlings have hatched!! Would it be best to keep the lid on or take it off? I'm worried about them damping off.

11/05/2014 at 20:40

Take it off, it never needed to be on

11/05/2014 at 20:50

Ah lol.Many thanks for that nut 

12/05/2014 at 10:30

Well done Fishy65. I would'nt be without Foxgloves in my garden and have over the years grown many different ones. All smashing, once you have them you'll never be without them.

12/05/2014 at 11:10

Im with you lot, mine are 3 weeks old in a tray and 1" high all looking tough,it will be our first in the garden if we can find room, 

12/05/2014 at 12:36

Foxgloves are a favourite of mine, which is lucky as they grow almost weed like in my garden.

12/05/2014 at 19:43

What a lovely sight to see so many Foxglove fans. I used to have Foxgloves in my garden ladygardener but they just seemed to dwindle.That's why I'm trying to reintroduce them.I've still got lots of seeds in the packet which I might scatter at the bottom of the garden under my flowering redcurrant.Would that be wise do you think or too shady for germination?

Alan - did you have to thin your seedlings? Some of mine are very densely grouped but its difficult when the seeds are so small.

Tasker - you're very lucky!!

12/05/2014 at 19:46

I've just ordered some plugs for November delivery from the Botanic Nursery where they have the National Collection. 

I'd scatter them and see Fishy. They're shade lovers so why not? Maybe sow them in  a few places and see what happens.

12/05/2014 at 19:52

Fishy.......Foxgloves are usually very easy to germinate........why not just scatter some seed where you think they would be happy but just grow a few in modules/pots to be on the safe side ? Unless you are after specific types, you don't need to thin.....the strongest seedlings will do that for you.

They usually only last a couple of years or so but are such prolific seeders that you should always have some on the go once you have a couple of plants.

Nothing quite like those tall spires and of course good for insects too

12/05/2014 at 20:28

I just planted some today, but seem to have quite a few popping up in the flower beds, and I don't remember having any last year - maybe they were in the 72 mail order perennials or something.  Anyway, quite a lot are growing up in shady dank spots, so I doubt a flowering redcurrant is going to put them off.  Nothing like watching one of my girls disappearing up one of those bells for a bit of the old nectar!!  Don't the ornamental ones revert to the more common varieties though, in time?  Via seeding, I mean.

12/05/2014 at 21:06

The fancy Digitalis purpurea types will seed back to normal eventually, some types quicker than others. 

12/05/2014 at 21:42

Thank you for those very handy tips guys.Its great to get first hand feedback from people who really know their stuff. I've also got a fairly mature Red Robin Photinia that the Wood Spurge likes,I'll sow some under there too.

I think what I love about them is the cottage garden charm they have,they are a real classic flower if that makes sense.

email image
17 messages