Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Foxgloves

Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

I bought a pack of Foxglove seeds the other day and have sown them in compost inside a covered propagator.On the seed packet it said to sprinkle the seeds and cover them with a very fine layer of compost.However on googling this,it recommended not covering the seeds because they require light to germinate,so I've done the latter but gave them a fine water spray to bed them in.This is the first time I've ever grown foxgloves from seed,has anyone else any experience or handy tips regarding this lovely plant?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

It's a bit hard to stop them growing - I tend to just sprinkle the seeds on the garden where I want them to grow, then thin them out next spring image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Hi Dove, thank you.I'm trying to give them a head start due to having a ball-obsessed black lab charging around the garden image One sunflower has already been snapped off like a carrot.I can't blame our lab cos its just another plant coming out of the ground to her.

I'm hoping to get to that stage where I'm having to stop them growing image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

They definitely dont want a propagator, they prefer to germinate in cooler conditions.  I have dozens around my garden all from seeds, some wild, some from packets, white and pink.

I dont see how you will stop them growing, easy from seed and pop up everywhere in the garden as Dove says.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Hi Lyn, thanks for your reply.When I say propagator its basically a seed tray with plastic cover.It isn't heated and will remain at room temperature.

My little darlings have hatched!! Would it be best to keep the lid on or take it off? I'm worried about them damping off.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Take it off, it never needed to be onimage

In the sticks near Peterborough

Ah lol.Many thanks for that nut image

• ladygardener2ladygardener2 Posts: 371

Well done Fishy65. I would'nt be without Foxgloves in my garden and have over the years grown many different ones. All smashing, once you have them you'll never be without them.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Im with you lot, mine are 3 weeks old in a tray and 1" high all looking tough,it will be our first in the garden if we can find room, 

• TaskerTasker Posts: 29

Foxgloves are a favourite of mine, which is lucky as they grow almost weed like in my garden.