Start a new thread

1 to 9 of 9 replies

Well I carefully saved my free seed packets from various gardening magazines and kept them unopened waiting for the weather to improve. So I was a little dissapointed and perhaps naive to see how few each contained. Still I won't look a gift horse in the mouth and as this will be the first sewings in our new (but old and overgrown) garden I will enjoy every vegetable that I grow and eat and every flower that I see and smell.

nutcutlet

Some of the ones you pay for don't havemany in them either

Lyn

That is true Nut, it says on the packet how many are in there, in case you need some more of a particular variety, but you will be surprised as to how far 25/50 seedling will go. 

Sometimes its nice just to grow a few of each plant, last year I made the mistake of chucking the whole lot in a seed tray, then couldn't bring myself to throw any away once they germinated, hence 500 of some things!!

hollie hock

Only just started getting into veg and have noticed that the veg seeds seem to be a lot more expensive than the flowers. Free seeds are great.

I've done the same Lyn, last year I sowed an entire packet of snap dragons, and they all germinated, gave loads away the garden was full of them, a great show. This year I've started to divide my seed trays into 3 and sow a bit more thinly.

Oakley Witch

I have done the very same with my snap dragons and now have that many I cant keep up with the pricking out. I cant throw them away either. Can they be planted in little clumps do you think or do they need singles out?

Advertisement

nutcutlet

I often plant in small clumps sam, especially annuals that don't seem to single out without collapsing. I'm more careful with the perennials.

Still waiting for my free seeds from the Daily Mirror. Sent postage money and tokens weeks ago.Anyone received their seeds yet?

Jamjaf, which magazines do you get for the free seeds.  I get the Kitchen Garden magazine, they mostly use king's seeds, although I think there are some other ones on there too.  They're doing courgette seeds next month, I'll be very interested to see how many they contain, as the ones I bought from T&M only have 4 seeds in (climbing patio courgette though).  I'm lucky enough to have a JTF near me, they are very reasonable for seeds, can get a packet of veg seeds for 39p.  Got 3 seed tapes for 1.50, as that was the only way I could get parsnip seeds, the rest were sold out.  So I've now got parsnips, swedes and turnips  to sow.  Really need to get a wiggle on with clearing enough space in the garden for a couple of raised beds.

Sorry Daily Mirror.  Seeds just arrived.