Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fressia Scent

bobloesbobloes Posts: 134

Hi All

I planted some freesia corms last summer and not a single one came up.  I believe that may be because I was not patient enough.  However a few of them have now risen above the surface in the same containers (re-used for winter bulbs).  However they have no scent and they are the white ones.  I think there is a difference between 'garden freesias' and the ones available in florists.  Can anyone enlighten me about whether that last statement is rubbish and why there is no scent?

Thanks

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

Have you ever smelt freesias, or have you just heard they are scented? I ask because the ability to smell freesias is genetically determined, so maybe you just don't have the geneimage

Another thing that that is controlled by genes is whether asparagus makes your wee smell or not, and whether you are able to smell it or not. Isn't nature wonderfulimage

It is also possible that you have some that are less scented, or maybe they need warmth to bring out the perfume as they come from warmer climes than ours.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

I would suggest they use a variety that has no scent.  Supermarket freesias, and roses, etc have no scent.  Shame.