Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fritillary (Snakes Head)!!!!

Terry 2Terry 2 Posts: 7
Hi all, This is my first entry, so here goes. How rare are double headed Fritillaries (Snakes heads). I ask this question as last autumn I planted about a dozen in a pot, and this week I noticed that one of the plants has two flower heads on it.

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Cool - 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

http://www.uksafari.com/thumb/th_snhfrit3.jpg  not unknown but not common - I've seen them at the Fritillary Meadow near where I grew up - think there were always a few each year.

Are you going to plant them out and naturalise them?  I always think they look magical in grassland - they do need it moist tho, and you don't have to mow until after they've seeded, and absolutely no fertiliser or herbicides - then, if you've got the conditions right they'll spread and spread and spread image

Sorry, can't make the image bigger - can you post a photo of yours?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

They do sometimes have the double head,beware of the lily beetle who also loves them.The best ones I have seen have been in Dunscoombe by the donkey santuary.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think minemay have drowned. Nothing to see at all, not a leaf.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Don't despair Nutcutlet, outdoor ones taking their time I am not venturing out in this weather, so why should they?

Too true WW. Never been this late though and they been there for years. Never been under water so long either. Still saturated but no surface water now.

• I have just bought one in a garden centre, and am not sure if they need full sun / partial shade / shade when planting, any advice would be useful

They're wild in water meadows Buttercup so nothing dry. They're happy in the sun like that but cope a bit better with some shade if it's too dry for them

• The Lily Beetle image Oh NOOOOOOO

I was wondering why the tips of all my leaves as they are coming up looks like they have been snipped by a cigar clipper image I finally decided to plant a few lilies in a pot image

Im the only one in the street that looks after their garden and am now in fear that every wee critter will be living and feasting in mine 

As my 2 year old neice would say...Oowww nnooowwwwwwwwwww image

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

IME double headed flowers do turn up sometimes. Mine are just out in one border & well up in a 2cnd. Mine have also self-seeded into a 3rd border. image

So far no sign of LB attack, but the bright red beetles pretty easy to spot on them. Need to be careful to get them into a jamjar, then tipped onto slabs & stamped on!

If anyone gets the chance the Oxford water meadows are full of them- a site once seen never forgotten. J.