Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Hi all.. I scattered seeds in my garden around early May from a packet of seeds picked up in supermarket, all it said on packet was Wildflowers... anyway, this is all that's grown.. just looks very green & weedy to me... any ideas? thank you

nutcutlet

a bit to distant to be sure but looks like one of the annual euphorbias.

a wild flower of the UK

nutcutlet says:

a bit to distant to be sure but looks like one of the annual euphorbias.

a wild flower of the UK

See original post

Ooooohh . thank you.. .. so do you think it will flower at any time soon? 

fidgetbones

It  is flowering. The flowers are green. Pull it out quick. I am forever trying to get rid of it. Wear gloves because the sap can photosensitise the skin which will then burn in sunshine. (should we ever get any)

fidgetbones says:

It  is flowering. The flowers are green. Pull it out quick. I am forever trying to get rid of it. Wear gloves because the sap can photosensitise the skin which will then burn in sunshine. (should we ever get any)

See original post

Thanks for the info.. I'll definitely be doing that in the next 15 mins... haha... too much like a weed for my liking... 👍

Advertisement

FloBear

May I suggest that you avoid mixed packs of anything or else buy them from a reputable wildflower supplier. Those euphorbias are indeed wildflowers but not anything like as desirable as ones you choose yourself. And they seed everywhere.

If you haven't come across the Meadow Mania website, why not have a look it? I bought a few packets of annual wildflower seeds from them and they sell mixed packs as well. I didn't go for a mixed pack because it contains seeds of things that I already have in abundance. My cornflowers, corn cockle, corn marigold and poppies gave a lovely display this year. I did allow some of those euphorbias to stay that just popped up uninvited, but not many.

FloBear says:

May I suggest that you avoid mixed packs of anything or else buy them from a reputable wildflower supplier. Those euphorbias are indeed wildflowers but not anything like as desirable as ones you choose yourself. And they seed everywhere.

If you haven't come across the Meadow Mania website, why not have a look it? I bought a few packets of annual wildflower seeds from them and they sell mixed packs as well. I didn't go for a mixed pack because it contains seeds of things that I already have in abundance. My cornflowers, corn cockle, corn marigold and poppies gave a lovely display this year. I did allow some of those euphorbias to stay that just popped up uninvited, but not many.

See original post

Thank you... these were the very first seeds I bought earlier this year... My first year gardening - learning as I go along, thank you for the information... 😁 I now buy from reputable companies so hopefully better flowers to come.. 😂 

FloBear

I'm very glad you have an interest in wild flowers, smigger, many people dismiss them as 'just weeds'. I think it's wrong of companies to sell unnamed seeds as you have no chance of knowing what to expect - or even if you want them. Wildflower plants need a little care too, a GC local to me was selling this

which is a pretty little plant but grows rampantly in most gardens I know self-seeding everywhere!

Silver surfer says:

Possibly Euphorbia peplus. Petty spurge.Flower miniscule.

Pretty common as a weed in UK

But would never have expected it  to be put in in a Wild flower mix.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=EUPHORBIA+PEPLUS&rlz=1C1GNAM_en-GBGB687GB687&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYvdbZqc3VAhUJD8AKHa0rA40Q_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=759

http://www.aphotoflora.com/images/euphorbiaceae/euphorbia_peplus_petty_spurge_flower_05-05-06.jpg

Last edited: 10 August 2017 19:57:39

See original post

Wasn't sure what to expect really... but don't like the look of it tbh... it looks like it will take over if I let it.  I've taken it up now... more space!!!  😁 thanks for commenting x

josusa47

Why be surprised at seeing herb Robert on sale? They've been selling pots of mind your own business for as long as I can remember!