Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

Dovefromabove

I've been asked (and have failed) to identify this fruit which was picked 'from some sort of vine' in Spain a couple of weeks ago

It's described as being about the size of an avocado, having a spongey texture, with a milky sap, and containing several seeds.  

Any ideas folks?

Last edited: 23 October 2017 15:01:29

I think that is Arauja sericifera - it is quite common in Spain  and known as the Cruel plant because the flowers ( pink and white ) tempt bees and then close round them until they have pollinated the flower.

It is semi hardy in parts of UK.

I first grew it from T & M seeds in the UK way back in the '90s but have since had it in most of my gardens without a problem.

Dovefromabove
philippa smith2 says:

I think that is Arauja sericifera - it is quite common in Spain  and known as the Cruel plant because the flowers ( pink and white ) tempt bees and then close round them until they have pollinated the flower.

It is semi hardy in parts of UK.

I first grew it from T & M seeds in the UK way back in the '90s but have since had it in most of my gardens without a problem.

See original post

Thank you Philippa   I'll pass that on to my friend ... it does look as if that may be it ... she'll be excited ... she lives in southern Wiltshire so quite mild in sheltered corners.  

Last edited: 23 October 2017 15:28:56

Is it a chirimoya (aka custard apple)?

Here are photographs of them:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chirimoya&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQsKi9_YbXAhVPmbQKHe9sD_oQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=659

Advertisement

Dovefromabove

Thank for the suggestion Grassproblem ... I'll pass sit on,