London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
5 messages
23/06/2012 at 11:23

I've just bought a Fuchsia Annabelle ( I really do need to avoid the  plant section in Morrisons!!!!!) the label describes it as a "wonderful hardy fuchsia" but after looking it up online the info suggests it's not that hardy afterall. Anyone got experience with this fuchsia? I did buy it to go in the ground but not so sure what to do with it now????? 

23/06/2012 at 12:55
23/06/2012 at 13:23

I always leave mine in the garden up in Yorkshire and they do fine and have been coming every year.

They don't always shoot till middle of june so always be patient.

Lyn
23/06/2012 at 13:27

I have lots of these, I made loads of cuttings last autumn, they are all flowering now. You can put it in the ground and bring it in when the weather turns cold, (If it ever warms up!!) the cuttings root very easily, so if you do a few in Sept/October, and keep them in the green house or in a conservatory  (as I do) it wont matter too much if you loose the original. I always have great success in rooting the cuttings in a pot of water first, but I expect someone will shout me down over this. I make about 200  assorted varietys each year using this method, taking them from as late as December.

23/06/2012 at 14:03

"Annabel" is in the official list of hardy fuchsias from the Fuchsia Society, so assuming that it is the same plant, you should be fine, especially as (if I remember rightly) you're in quite a mild area.

email image
5 messages