London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
6 messages
29/05/2012 at 12:01

Last year I had great sucess with my fuchsia cuttings just by standing them in a glass of water until the roots developed. I rerpeated the process a few weeks ago but no roots are forming yet although the cuttings are still very healthy looking. They even developed flower buds which I have nipped out.

I was wondering if it is a little early to be taking cuttings this way? 

29/05/2012 at 12:31

Its never too early to take cuttings,I have even taken Fuchsia cuttings on xmas day with the help of a propagator.

29/05/2012 at 12:35

No, you're fine taking them now, but you will find that they want to flower rather than root. Keep nipping them out and you will get roots eventually.

29/05/2012 at 12:44

Wonderful. Thank you. 

29/05/2012 at 16:15

They will root easily if put into some multipurpose compost with a bag over them and kept somewhere bright but not direct sun. I root most of my Fuchsia cuttings by putting them on a north facing windowsill

Pam x

30/05/2012 at 13:04

Yes this will help the humidity,it is important that the leaves are kept moist and dont dry out.I root all my cuttings in the clear food plastic containers you get from supermarkets eg coleslaw,pasta etc. that way you can actually see the roots in the compost when they have taken.Also they have clear lids to let in the light.

email image
6 messages