Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fuchsia

Lena NLena N Posts: 189

When clearing back my forget me nots I discovered a hardy fuchsia that I planted last summer. It doesn't have any buds, probably as it's been hidden from the sunlight. Is it too late to help it on its way this year or do you think giving it a good feed it could still flower?

Many thanks

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Try feeding it.  You have nothing to lose and may get a beautiful plant.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

Fuchsias grow well in the shade,give it time , being hardy it will soon show signs of growth.

• Lena NLena N Posts: 189

Thanks, it doesn't have any new growth from this year as it was totally concealed by the forget me nots so I will monitor it over the next week or so and see how it gets on.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Feed Fuchsia as you would tomato plants, when flowers start to appear.If you feed before it will just grow into a green plant. Mine have no signs of buds yet, but they will still be flowering almost to Christmas.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lena NLena N Posts: 189

Mine has no leaves either, only last year's woody stems image 

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

I have several hardy fuchsias all at different stages of growth from flourishing to just definitely starting to shoot from the base of last year's woody stems