Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fuchsia

Hi, I've just got a giant fuchsia that was my dad's it's  over ten years old but hasn't done very well over the last couple of years, it's in my greenhouse and has survived the winter I would like to know what I can do to give it a new lease of life as I don't want to lose it please help 

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

When you see new shoots, cut it back to about two inches from the soil, repot, knocking some of the old compost off, look for vine weevils, then repot in a pot just a little bit bigger than its in now. You can start to feed with a tomato feed  when you see flowers buds appear. don't feed before, there's enough in the new compost and it will just run riot with green. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• My only proviso with Lyn's advice would be if it's a standard - if so don't cut it back to two inches from the soil!!!

An idiot who thought he knew best nipped the tops out of some special fuchsia cuttings I was growing for standards - that was nearly 40 years ago and I've still not forgiven him image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I remember you saying that before Dove, three leaved cuttings are not that easy to come by.image

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Hi Karen78 do you keep it in the gh all the time? Fuchsias like to be outside in the summer. Has it started to grow? If so you can Repot it a bit later and pinch out to make it bushier, feed it with a high nitrogen feed to start it growing and in may change to a high potash feed,then middle of may start hardening off,if that's what you wantimage
  • Wow I'm glad it hopefully will live a lot longer dad did make it into a standard it's about 3ft in the pot and does stay out all summer there was a few green leaves on it but they have died off now

It's a standard, don't cut that down to two inches thenimage unless you want a bush.

i should have asked.

•  I would like to say a bigThankyou for all your help ????

• Hi hortico, thanks for the advice perhaps I can do both, if I get New growth how big should the cuttings be? and could I make a standard from them, also what compost should I use and wow you obviously love fushias i bet they look amazing throughout the summer and a lot of hardwork thanks again
  • Hi hortico, thankyou so much for all the information you have given me, I looking forward to trying it out.I do love gardening I only have a small garden but also have an allotment which I love aswell, so thanks again and happy gardening to you I'm looking forward to the warmer weather ????????