Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fuschia advice needed

DaisyheadcaseDaisyheadcase Posts: 315

Hi all

Can anyone give me a bit of advice.  I bought a container pack from B&Q last year (from the reduced shelf, of course image) and ended up growing my first ever fuschia.  I have no idea what variety it is, but it looked like that .

It's still alive so I thought I would cut it back and repot.  Any fuschia experts out there who can tell me just how far down I can cut?  I'm sorry I don't know what's going on with the pictures at the moment I can't seem to put them where I want them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 568

Beginners with fuchsias are often shocked at how brutal you have to be to get a nice plant the second year. Sometimes frost does the job for you and you have to cut back right to the ground. You should really do this in April as soon as the new growth starts to appear. You can even do this to hardy types although it is often suffficient to just cut out the dead wood. Dollar Princess, which is the most often sold red and purple type is somewhere in between. Good luck.

Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.