London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
6 messages
16/07/2013 at 17:13

i have taken some fushia and hibiscus cuttings a while ago and now they have rooted they are 4 to 5 inches tall and root system is quite large they were taken from my hardy fushia.. now what do i do with the cuttings so they stay well through winter as my coldframe/greenhouse isnt heated and am now banned from putting any plants on the windowsills (got a bit extreme lol) any help will be apprecicated as my hardy fushias dont get any special care through winter and put a lovely display on eaxh year i live in south east england thank u

16/07/2013 at 18:46

I will be interested to hear what those who know say. I would have thought that if you plant them out now then they will be big enough to survive winter.

16/07/2013 at 19:45

Hiya Darren.   I would pot them on Imto bigger pots.  Pinch them back, quite hard.  Keep  them outside Out of the direct sun.  In winter keep them, on dry side, in your coldframe or greenhouse or in sheltered position outside if it's not too cold,where you are. , next spring plant them out.

16/07/2013 at 19:46

Hiya Darren.   I would pot them on Imto bigger pots.  Pinch them back, quite hard.  Keep  them outside Out of the direct sun.  In winter keep them, on dry side, in your coldframe or greenhouse or in sheltered position outside if it's not too cold,where you are. , next spring plant them out.

If you plant them out now,they will just look small and insignificant.....will do nothing for your garden this year anyway

16/07/2013 at 21:12

well thank you for that very useful and wil give it a go and see how things go will the foilage still die down? 

17/07/2013 at 07:53

I trim mine back by a third in october and strip all the leaves and flowers,they then start regrowing before the winter. If you can keep them above 5 degrees they will continue to grow and you can start pinching out.This is what you can achieve.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27689.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

email image
6 messages