Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fuzzy Lillies

ShelleyTShelleyT Posts: 33

Hello hope someone can offer a bit of advice. I planted these last year. Very chuffed as they have multiplied image However as you can see the ones on the right have some kind of fuzz on the buds. They had it last year and flowered ok. I am wondering though if this is something harmful. It hasn't affected the others.

Would love a bit of advice, don't want to leave them there and its something bad and affects the others

Thanks in advance! image 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Could be Mealy bugs, look under the white fuzz, they're small, but if they are there a systemic insecticide or ladybird larvea for natural control. Strange to see them outside as they are usually in greenhouses or on houseplants.

RHS link http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=201

• ShelleyTShelleyT Posts: 33

Thanks for link, very informative! image You think that I could put a cloche over it and release some ladybirds?

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Before I enlarged photo I expected to see "cuckoo spit"  can't remember correct name. Can't disagree with Dave as I don't know, but I'd wash off with weak washing up liquid and see what happens.