Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Geranium maderense

BerkleyBerkley Posts: 431

I was given this plant last Summer and was not too surprised that it didn't flower. But I'd like it to do better this year! I've moved it, in its pot, into the garage (it has a large window) and the photoshows that it still has some leaves.

Should I water it at all?

Should I remove what I assume are the remains of old leaves at the base of the plant?

All advice appreciated.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I wouldn't water it while the weather is this cold.  Cold is bad enough, cold and wet can be lethal!  I've not grown it although I would like  to - I've never had a warm-enough spot image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

Yes I'd love to grow it too, but no chance up here in NWest.

I'd treat it as a HHA & keep it under cover, minimal watering, if any, over the next few months/weeks. Any obviously dead leaves I'd very, very carefully remove in case they start to go mouldy & that wouldnt be good.

Harden it off gradually as the spring progresses & it will need the hottest, driest spot you've got. J.

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

I always thought that Geranium Maderense was monacarpic - dying after flowering ? image I know they don't usually flower in their first year but I've never grown one.

Maybe take some cuttings in the Spring just in case.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

This link indicates that it may take up to 3 years to flower in colder conditions - and yes, it is monocarpic, so save some seeds when it does flower.

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146451-geranium-maderense.html 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BerkleyBerkley Posts: 431

Honestly though I'd written a thank you for all your thoughts! Sorry! They were appreciated. Have just brought the plant in to a slightly warmer, brighter spot. Will post a photo later in the year (if successful!)

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

There's another largish geranium that's superficially a bit like maderense. I had it for a few years and it died in a cold winter. I now have a 2 year old seedling that would probaly have flowered last year if the weather had been kinder. Can anyone suggest what this plant is? I don't have a photo but seeing the maderense pic reminded me of it. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Hi Nut, There is a similar one called G Palmatum. Could it be this one ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/13031.shtml

• MINE IS IN THE GARDEN AND HAS BEEN FOR 2 YEARS IT SEEDS WELL AND LEAVES LOADS BABIES ALL AROUND.PLEASE GIVE IT SPACE IN THE GARDEN NOW YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED,I LIVE ON THE EAST COAST SO NOT WARM HERE

KATE