Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Geranium rozanne

KelsbelsKelsbels Posts: 54
Hi all, last September I bought two geranium rozanne from harrogate flower show, planted them both straight away & they seemed to establish pretty well. They've now disappeared!! A few brown dead stems which have fallen off but nothing else to show above ground, is this normal???

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Perfectly normal - it'll reappear in the spring image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Oh thankyou dovefromabove, I was getting quite concerned!!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Not to worry - there's loads of plants that do that.  They tend to be the ones we call herbaceous perennials - a bit of information here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=362 .

I tend to leave the dead stems etc on the plant over winter and cut them back in late winter/early spring as I believe it helps to protect the crown of the plant and also provides cover for wildlife. 

Hope that helps image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• KelsbelsKelsbels Posts: 54

Still no sign whatsoever of any new growth!! image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Mine's just appearing nowimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Most of my geraniums are only just beginning to show again.  Haven't checked Rozanne. Don't panic yet.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • My Rozanne is just about coming through.

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I've been a bit worried about mine as well as I tried dividing it last year and I'm not sure it was quite large enough.  I thought it would be like other geraniums and forgot it has than large taproot. I cut through it because it is in a concrete planter and seemed to be outgrowing it so I thought I'd move half to the matching planter.  I guess if it doesn't come up I can just buy a new plant.   I really liked it.   Do you know if it's a problem that I put spring bulbs in the same planter?  Will it run out of room? Will I have to remove the bulbs?  I thought since the Rozanne  doesn't bloom until June it would be a good use of space.