Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Geranium?

Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713

This delicate little plant seems to have appeared from nowhere - I think it is a geranium - am I right?image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Yes, a lovely hardy geranium.

• EsspeeEsspee Posts: 274

This looks like the one I have in abundance, flowers from late May with the odd flower still around at the end of the year.  I love it.

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713

It is such a dainty little plant - I tend to go for big statement plants but I love the softness of this small plant and flower. Do they come in various colours or just this delicate pink?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think that might be G. endressii and agree with Philippa and Espee

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It's a real nuisance here, but I let it do it's thing behind the shed. I'm all heart ...image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

It's a hardy geranium named 'Wargrave pink', I have it here. Grows and grows out of no where, greenfly are munching the petals on mine!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Wargrave Pink, a cultivar of G.endressii. The massed seedlings are no longer 'Wargrave Pink' but all much the same. Suitable for wild gardens (mine), not for polite companyimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • MarygoldMarygold Posts: 332

GD2  There are loads of hardy geraniums. They mostly come in pinks or blues but there are white ones and some dark 'maroon' type colours. They come in various sizes too from alpine sized to some about 2 or 3 feet high.

I like them as they seem to be left alone by the slugs, although they do provide them with good hiding places!

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713

Primarily I thought of geraniums as the type you get in pots and window boxes that are mainly red or whiteimage - we have quite a few of those but we also have a large Maderian type with bright pink flowers which re-seeds where you don't want it to. However I will look out for the slugs Marygold and our garden is pretty wild in places so I won't be too bothered with the seedlings appearing nutcutlet, although I also have hellebores, primroses, violets and aquelegia popping up all over the garden.

• michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

hi all some  nice flowers  on show ,, a question  did anyone get the name of the new sweet pea that was going to be on show  thanks   in advance       michaelimage