London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
10 messages
13/07/2014 at 08:49

i have a garden overtaken by geraniums and japanese anenomes, i think i may have to dig almost whole front garden up, will i be be able to keep some in pots til i decde where exactly i want them next year? i want to move some peonies too, is this all best done sept/ oct? it's going to be a huge job, really don't know where to start, almost a total overhaul

13/07/2014 at 08:54

I planted some Japanese anemones  in the first year of the Shady Bank - I knew they'd spread quickly but I needed some colour there quickly.  

This autumn they're going to be moved and reduced - I'll put some in pots to give away - think daughter may be given some 

I think I'd move peonies in the autumn - think there's a thread somewhere on moving them ......... 

As for the geraniums - if they're getting too rampant just chop them back - take some cuttings too to give to people afflicted by tidy gardens 

13/07/2014 at 08:57

heehee afflicted is the word i'd use! i love the garden to look really full and overflowing but have reached the point where nothing else gets a look in, how do i take cuttings?

13/07/2014 at 09:33

I usually split and divide them in the autumn, but I'm going to take some cuttings this summer - I found this which looks encouraging

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/propagating-hardy-geraniums-easy-peasy.44593/ 

13/07/2014 at 09:51

again, thanks dove, really helpful, good link, maybe even i can manage that..!

13/07/2014 at 10:05

I've been lifting and cleaning and clearing and refereeing my garden all this year following a forced, post-op absence of almost 2 years.   In that time, along with several nasty, pernicious weeds, my garden has been overun by a pink geranium that has spread and seeded itself about with gay abandon.   I've been digging them up since early spring and have potted some on to give to people who I know like pink or need some fast ground cover but there are limits and huge amounts have gone in the compost bins.

Whilst clearing the borders, clumps of any plant I want to jeep get bunged in buckets and troughs and any container I can find and can stay there for weeks sometimes while I dig over and clear the beds and then clean their roots.   I've had very few losses doing that.  

Where I haven't yet got other plants to replace the geraniums I've simply cut them back hard once the flowering is starting to fade and then they at least grow back healthy, fresh looking foliage so look better.   I will even get a second set of flowers to keep things looking good till the new babies get big enough to plant out in their place.

Japanese anemones aren't a problem here but I do find phlomis russelliana a bit too happy and either pot up for swaps or bung on the compost heap.   As long as you can keep things you do dig up sheltered from strong sun and adequately moist I find them very forgiving when needs must but the best time for lifting and dividing most plants is still spring and autumn.   

13/07/2014 at 10:19

Don't worry about the Anemones, if they are anything like the ones we have all that digging them up will do is create thousands of root cuttings, everyone of which will regrow.

I have a patch of bare soil in one border which has now been 'empty' for 5 years. Every 2 or 3 weeks a piece of Anemone pokes up through the soil and gets  weed killer on it. And still it grows!

13/07/2014 at 10:40

Funny isn't it?  I have deep, fertile, alkaline loam on a clay sub soil but I can't get Honorine Jobert to grow and the pink ones have taken years to establish and fill their space.   Can't grow Chinese lanterns either.

On the other hand, couch grass, nettles, creeping buttercup, fat hen, ground ivy, bindweed, thistles, dock and teasles are a constant nightmare and the pink geranium is following suit but not the more interesting ones I'd really like to spread about more freely.

Lyn
13/07/2014 at 13:52

That anemone prefers acid soil.

13/07/2014 at 15:05

That anemone prefers acid soil.

Tell that to the ones in my alkaline soil please.

email image
10 messages