Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gerbera from saved seeds

Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Has anyone had any success in growing Gerbera from saved seeds ? If so any special tips?

• XX Posts: 707

Never had any success growing Gerbera full stop KEF image  Doesn't seem to like my garden at all....

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hi MsB, I bought 5 plants this year and I'm really taken with them, have saved some seeds and  wondered if it's worth having a go or not. I've more paper bags / envelopes with stuff in and do wonder if I'll actually do anything with them.

I've not offered anything on seed swap in case I've not saved / stored correctly..if I have some success I'll participate next year.

• XX Posts: 707

You may as well try as you have the seed there. Be interesting to see if they grow.

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

This is something I'd like to try in the Spring, If I remember I'll let you know how I get on image

Cheers image 

I'll have a go Mattbeer, will also report back.

• I have tried and tried without success,I understand the seeds must be planted as soon as gathered.What I do is pot up and carry over my Gerberas.Two of my favorites.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/otnorot/All%20plants/Tuesday006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/otnorot/All%20plants/204.jpg

Otnorot, they are lovely, love the first the most.

Mine are in pots and I've just put them in the GH, not too cold, but getting sodden. I might sew the seeds I've saved ASAP, but they have been inside drying a while, along with many others "cluttering all available surfaces." ( or so I'm told)image

Thanks for reply & photos.

Otnorot....