London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 15°C
11 messages
07/12/2013 at 16:52

Hi,

My bay plant was planted a few years ago in the garden and is now about 10 feet high and growing all the time.

I think accepted wisdom is that it is pruned in late spring. Can anyone confirm this? Also, is it ok to just cut off the main stem about three feet from the top, it seems cruel to do this and if I do, maybe the tree will start getting wider instead of taller, which I do not want.

Also, if the tree were to get higher i.e. 15feet and higher is this the kind of plant that would affect the structure of a building as it approximately 2 metres from the house.

07/12/2013 at 16:57

What sort of shape do you want the tree to be?

07/12/2013 at 17:07

I had not thought of that. It's at the side of the shed which is at the front of the garden. It can get a bit wider but if it got too wide it would not leave enough space for people to go past it to get to the back of the garden.

So I suppose it could get a foot wider but I don't want it to get any taller than it is now. I am not an expert on how you can shape such a tree, but would just prefer that it looks natural.

07/12/2013 at 17:07

Ha! Ha!  The headline said Giant Bay Tree.  It's only 10ft high.  They go up much, much higher than that.

Prune it down as much as you want, it will spring up again, but I might take the opportunity to move it further from the house, it really is too close unless you keep it strictly under control.  

I would not cut it off at 7ft high, it will look like a lollipop.  Not a good look!  Cut it nearly to the ground.

07/12/2013 at 17:13

Could we have a photo of what it looks like now? If it only has branches at the top it will looks silly cut off as Welshonion says. If it has branches all the way down you can prune to the shape you want.

08/12/2013 at 09:48

Mines about 18 foot high and 10 foot wide. got a spring appointment at the barbers!

Interesting mine has about 6 main stems (bit like a rhododendron) I will probably just cut 4 out and start a recovery program.

08/12/2013 at 10:24

Mines a thicket, about 12 foot tall and nearly as much across. Overdue for the haircut. I expect the great tit to move in again before I get it done next spring.

08/12/2013 at 11:53

Mine's in a large container and so seems content to remain a 4ft, healthy 'dwarf' bay!

I can recommend this way of growing them.

08/12/2013 at 12:05

Me too Lancashire Lass - when we came here there was a feral bay - it had been in a pot and then planted in the garden - it was rampant - when we dug it out the roots were still balled but new roots had spread out like a spider from the centre.  

I've got the one I grew from a cutting in a big pot and that's where it's staying 

08/12/2013 at 16:53

I have two 'mature'bays which had reached 10' in height x 5' width - they were hazarding the elevated washing line (reducing capacity by 25%), so they had severe haircuts about 13 months ago: I left all the new regrowths alone this past spring so that I now have ample fresh material for festive bay/laurel wreaths (so much kinder to the hands than holly!). I'll post some before/after + wreath pix once they've been fabricated this week... 

29/12/2013 at 17:56

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35393.jpg?width=500&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35394.jpg?width=500&height=350&mode=max

Donor bay tree and resultant Christmas wreath: all foliage 'home-grown' at Trigfan.

Compliments of the Season to all "Forkers" , Very Best Wishes for 2014.

email image
11 messages