Start a new thread

1 to 16 of 16 replies

Doghouse Riley

We must have about a dozen of these, some with multiple stems. We've had them a few years now.

Sadly, this year only about half of them will flower as the others got flattened by the fox cubs. But they'll be back next year (not the foxes...hopefully!)

These are the first to flower. We've a third colour yellow.

I'm sure there must be others and if so, I may get some more for next year.

Feel free to add any of your own to this thread. I'll add more as ours open. There are one or two holes in leaves, caused by lily beetles, but you don't really notice them. The blooms have never been affected.

Last edited: 08 July 2017 12:43:02

They are beautiful, all my bulbs seem to disappear, the only successful ones are plain old daffodils.

Nice, DHR.  I planted 6 'Leslie Woodriff' tree lilies this year, and 4 have come up, but I don't expect them to flower this year, they need to make some 'timber'....we shall see.  They've been well-fed and staked and watered, so we shall see!

Hope those cubs and Fiona are all growing up and not terrorising the neighbourhood!  They were such a treat! 

Doghouse Riley
Muddle-Up says:

Nice, DHR.  I planted 6 'Leslie Woodriff' tree lilies this year, and 4 have come up, but I don't expect them to flower this year, they need to make some 'timber'....we shall see.  They've been well-fed and staked and watered, so we shall see!

Hope those cubs and Fiona are all growing up and not terrorising the neighbourhood!  They were such a treat! 

See original post

We do miss them...a bit... There's been no news about them for over a week, so I guess hopefully, the six of them  will all be safe and making their way in the world and not getting into trouble with other neighbours.

How could you not love one of these? (from a distance)

Just been for a quick photo-shoot!  Not many out in flower yet, just these dark maroon orientals

...and my one lonely Martagon lily which sits inconveniently on the edge of the grass and obligingly comes up every year, and has been doing so since at least 1989!  It would be churlish to move it!

Advertisement

DHR, I could very easily love one of those from close-up, never mind from a distance!  Exquisite creatures.

Doghouse Riley
Muddle-Up says:

Just been for a quick photo-shoot!  Not many out in flower yet, just these dark maroon orientals

...and my one lonely Martagon lily which sits inconveniently on the edge of the grass and obligingly comes up every year, and has been doing so since at least 1989!  It would be churlish to move it!

See original post

Very nice!

You're right not to move it. the bulbs are always further down than you might think and it would  be easy to harm it, if you tried to dig it up.

Jacqueline29

Here are some of my lilies, they are amazing. I grow them all in pots and I do not do anything to them in the winter, they just come up again with a little bit of extra compost on them.

Doghouse Riley

They look terrific, such a good variety.

As you say, you don't have to do anything with them.

Though as mine are in the ground, once they've died off, I cut the stems down to about a foot, so I can see them. Simply so that I don't hoe the border, just where they are.

Doghouse Riley

This one has six stems, which are crowding each other. I'm tempted to lift it in the autumn and split it.

Some gorgeous flowers in your gardens guys, thanks for sharing :-)

Here are a couple of mine - they are in their first year of flowering, so I hope they'll come back bigger and better next year.  The pink ones give off the most intoxicating scent!

Doghouse Riley

Thanks everyone for sharing.

By comparison, ours look a bit disappointing. We've actually only got three different colours, might get some others for next year.

Our favourite yellow ones have yet to bloom.

Doghouse Riley

These are our favourites, (my wife wants some shoes in that colour, like the ones she had when she was eighteen, but we haven't been able to find any)

We've three of these, the second is yet to bloom. The third the fox cubs sat on when it was about six inches high, but it will be back next year.

Last edited: 16 July 2017 20:06:44

1Runnybeak1

DHR.  I think we have the same yellow,tree Lillies.  5-6' tall now.  Grown in a pot.  

A few of my Lillies, a new Dahlia, and a Rose named 'Blue eyes' with a beautiful sweet perfume a bit like Dolly mixtures.   It changes colour from pink to raspberry to white. The picture doesn't do it justice at all.   

Beautiful pictures everyone.  Thanks for sharing them.   More please !!!Sorry pics are upside down. 

Last edited: 17 July 2017 16:33:01

Doghouse Riley

What a great selection!

Occasionally, we cut them and bring them in a put them in a vase.

But you have to remove the stamens before you bring them in.

Knowing how they can mark clothing, they'd be a nightmare if they brushed or fell on any soft furnishings.

Advertisement

Jacquim

Lovely to see all the different lillies. Here are a few of mine, unfortunately they are all over here.