London (change)
Wed 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
5 messages
14/06/2012 at 17:29

HI again  does anybody know can i grow Ginger and how

cheers

14/06/2012 at 17:56

Hi there - I've looked into growing ornamental ginger plants and discovered that there are lots of types of gingers requiring, as you might have guessed, lots of different types of requirements. 

I can post a link or two for you if you let me know if you have a specific type of ginger in mind.

15/06/2012 at 00:31

If you are thinking of growing ginger for cooking I think you may be disappointed.  IMO it is far easier to buy some in the supermarket and freeze it as it is and grate from frozen when you need it. It is cheap enough.

I am in two minds about ornamental ginger which I have grown from seed (a Hedecheum variety).  I do not find the smell of the flowers very attractive, as it is supposed to be, and it is a pain hauling the pots in and out of the greenhouse for winter protection as they would not be hardy where I live.

15/06/2012 at 14:09

hi Welshonion and fotofit many thanks for the info im going to give the ginger a miss many thanks to you both

15/06/2012 at 19:08

Hi again - I'm waiting for some ginger seeds to germinate - Cautleya lutea which was described as hardy to -10C so will see what happens !!  I've never grown ginger of any type before and am thinking of ordering a Roscoea next Spring which I believe is also hardy. 

Like you welshonion I don't want anything that is too time consuming or requires lots of space as both time and space, as well as funds, are limited !! 

Happy gardening to you both 

email image
5 messages