London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
4 messages
01/06/2013 at 10:28

Hi there, new to the site as of yesterday, and reasonably new to planting things too.  Is it too late to plant Gladioli?  I have some which overwintered in a pot which are about 8 inches tall now, so I don't know if new ones will stand a chance in the ground for blooming late this year.  Any help gratefully appreciated ....

01/06/2013 at 10:48

Sara 4 not sure but think it would be alright to plant them more so as there 8 inches tall am just back from my local GC and they are selling of boxes of Gladioli, Dahlias and Lilies for £2 a box was tempted to buy some but being tubers and bulbs was not sure if it would be to late to plant them maybe someone else could tell us.

01/06/2013 at 11:12

If the bulbs are firm they should be ok-if they are soft would not buy-remember they have been in that packaging for 6 months or therabouts now in a warm shop or warehouse

01/06/2013 at 12:02

Thank you  - I think I'll give them a go; at least if they come up too late I'll know where they are to dig them up for overwintering - and if they  don't come up they'll  be a surprise for next year (or  not, depending if they survive!)

email image
4 messages