Start a new thread

1 to 14 of 14 replies

chicky
Does anyone know a plant/shrub with good clusters of red berries? I am thinking some sort of cotoneaster, but i know there are lots of different sorts so wondered if anyone has a favourite? Many thanks
nutcutlet

How big a shrub do you want chicky?

X

Viburnum?

chicky
About 3-4 foot - width and height. And preferably something evergreen. Hadn't thought of a viburnum - what sort are best for berries?
 X

Viburnum opulus has white flowers and red berries and I think there is a compact variety.  There are types with blue berries as well and others with darker red berries, just give it a Google, you'll find quite a few.

Advertisement

chicky
Thanks MsB - will check it out
Dovefromabove

Holly?  Some are self-fertile and berry reliably well, and as they take well to being clipped can be kept to size.

flowering rose

pryagantha,lovely for birds and lovely white flowers in spring plus good protection.

chicky

Brilliant - thanks for all your replies.  Off to google pyracantha, skimmia, hollies and coral beauty.  Will let you know what i go for in due course

nutcutlet

choose a good coral beauty chicky, if it isn't the shape you want and covered in berries now, leave it at the GC. I have 2, one is lovely the other not so good

chicky

Just to finish this thread off - i went for pyracatha red saphyr - and here it is ....

Thank you all for your suggestions ..... I love this site!!