London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
17 messages
19/05/2012 at 20:48

I have inherited a lovely, 3 ft high Victorian garden wall - it's lovely and rough, with moss growing here and there. Have transplanted some sedum cuttings onto it, which are taking well, but wanted to know if anyone has any other tips for good, smallish wall plants which are native and also growable directly into the wall from seed? I have sprinkled some toadflax (Cymbalaria Muralis) around, but no sign of any shoots yet. Did I do something wrong? Any other good seeds to try? Thanks!

19/05/2012 at 21:19

You'd be best germinating the seeds in modules and then transplanting the modules rather than trying to sow direct - there's too much chance of seeds drying out otherwise.

Aubretia would do well on your wall.

19/05/2012 at 21:26

Of course...too dry - hadn't thought of that with all the rain we've had, but I guess that only applies when the plants are actually out. Thanks Alina - will try Aubretia too.

19/05/2012 at 23:21

Not native but very successful in crevices and tops of walls for me and flowers continuously all summer - Erigeron karvinskianus AGM  - often see it in Carol Klein's garden.

20/05/2012 at 20:15

thanks Daintiness - never heard of it but about to Google

20/05/2012 at 21:03

Ivy leaved Toadflax is a pretty native to have in a wall.

20/05/2012 at 22:01

ok - have bought my Erigeron seeds - thanks D have you had any luck sowing them directly into a wall or do I need to germinate them inside first?

burhinus - I have nicked a piece of toadflax from a front garden but it didn't take, unfortunately...then I tried sowing seeds directly into some soil I had scattered in the gaps of my wall - but nothing germinated (wish I'd had Alina's advice earlier!) ...would love to find a place which sells small plants already in pots, but have yet to find this...I would love to cover my wall in Toadflax as I think it's beautiful too.

21/05/2012 at 07:55
http://www.startuk.org/food/seed-bombs.aspx Above a link to a site explaining how to make seed bombs. Sorry, you'll have to paste and copy link into your browser rather than click on it directly. Basically it's seed mixed into a ball of mud, which can then be pushed into wall crevices. You could try this, or sow seed into modules and then push into crevices when well rooted. I have miles of toadflax on my Walls, no idea where it came from - but I yank it out periodically. Slugs and snails love sheltering behind it - be warned! And I wouldn't let valerian take hold either, the roots get enormous and could bring the whole wall down. You might also think of wallflowers - might sound a bit corny, but they can be kept going for years if you cut back after flowering.
21/05/2012 at 08:16
BTW, once you've got the Erigeron going, it'll pop up all over the place. I did read somewhere that if you introduce self- seeders at the top of a wall or slope, they will colonise downwards. Forget-me nots might be worth a go as well - they seed themselves here into the teeniest little cracks.
21/05/2012 at 09:30

thanks figrat! hadn't thought of forget me nots...great idea.

21/05/2012 at 12:15

PS: I like the idea o seed bombs and even modules, but the gaps in my wall are very very small and the best I can achieve is to push a little soil into them here and there, but I doubt a larger plug would fit. That's why I was looking for good self-seeders and plants which have seeds that like to be scattered on thr surface and don't need much soil at all...thank you all for your ideas! figrat, I have loads of snails and slugs in my garden, so will bear that in mind!

21/05/2012 at 16:46

Had you thought of native ferns?

22/05/2012 at 15:30
Sempervivums would probably do well - my sister grows them between the glazing bars and the glass on her greenhouse roof, so they really don't need much to get a foothold. And I've seen them growing in a lot of old walls here in S Devon.
22/05/2012 at 19:12

I had Glynwyn but couldn't find any that like a very hot, south/west facing wall...all my ferns are in the other side of my garden where it's damp and cool. Are there any that grow on a hot wall in practiclaly no soil? Would love to know if there are! figrat - hadn't thought of sempervivums and must confess I have to google as can't remember what they are :\

22/05/2012 at 19:18
http://www.drought-smart-plants.com/sempervivum-wall.html#axzz1vcjiuLlS Sorry you'll have to copy and paste link.
23/05/2012 at 10:36

thanks figrat

23/05/2012 at 10:38

What a great page - thank you! So sedums are smpervivums too then? In that case, I have a few already which I have taken cuttings from and shoved into the wall - and they seem to have taken.

email image
17 messages