Start a new thread

1 to 19 of 19 replies

I don't like grasses personally but I need an ID on this please.

Dovefromabove

I'm a grass novice, but I think the white line in the leaf indicates that it's a Miscanthus - Hosta and Verdun will undoubtedly be able to confirm that or not, and tell you much more than I can.

Watch out, I used not to be that keen on grasses ... but they're addictive 

Obelixx

Looks like one of the miscanthus to me with taht central stripe down the leaves but who knows which one?

Verdun likes grasses so maybe he recognises it.

Obelixx

Dove - I got into grasses in a big way a few years ago but apart from miscanthus zebrinus and miscanthus something else with leaves like the above and frothier flowers they all froze to death and even those two aren't wonderful after the cold wet spring and early summer.   A recent purchase of some molinia "Transparent" is doing well over by the pond and some bronze carex is self seeding all over the woodland path.

On the whole I'm coming back round to thinking the place for grass is short and green and in a lawn with clover and daisies and self heal!

Hortum-cretae

The miscanthus could be the cultivar 'Silberspinne'. The other grass is anemanthele lessoniana.

H-C 

Advertisement

Hortum-cretae

One of my favourites. Evergreen, colours well in the colder months. Beware the flowering stems - 4ft long plus and beautifully fine and graceful, but droop because of their thin structure and can make the whole plant several feet across. I found a hedgehog hibernating in one last year.

H-C

Dovefromabove

I have Miscanthus nepalensis, which is incredibly beautiful, and Molinia 'Transparent' which is also incredibly beautiful.  The other tall grass I have is Molinia caerulea 'Karl Foerster' which has beautiful purplish flowers - love it.   I'm hoping they survive a Norfolk winter - they came through last winter, but it was very mild. 

Obelixx

Molinia "Transparent" should be fine.  It's been in my garden for several years and done deep snow and deep freezes and still comes back in spring.

Hortum-cretae

See if you can find panicum virgatum 'Squaw'. Up to about a metre tall, the leave blades colour a rich purple . Complements plants like verbena bonariensis and vernonia crinita 'Mammuth' and lower growing plants with lavender and mauve tones superbly.  Throw in just a splash of rich yellow or orange to light it up - fantastic! 

H-C

H-C, my favourite is Shenandoah.  Colouring in late summer and autumn is superb. aster frikartii  monch, sanguisorba Red Thunder or astilbe Shogun make good companions too.  

Panicums are underrated grasses ....well behaved and subtle 

molinias need moisture and acidic soil ......so one of the few grasses I cannot grow 

Dovefromabove
Verdun says:

. ...

molinias need moisture and acidic soil ......so one of the few grasses I cannot grow 

See original post

Really?  Mine are fine after a year on chalk in my fairly free-draining garden   Do you think they'll not last? 

perhaps it depends on what or who you read.   Just a quick look and the RHS said "prefers acid soil".   If I want something I will try it out for myself and make a judgememt.  For just over a year my molinia...skyracer from memory.... was fine but then disappeared......just like pieris, rhodos etc do when initially given local conditions but then succumb.......satisfied personally that it needed acid, more moist soil and more space. it is a moorland grass liking similar conditions to heathers.

hey!  If it grows it grows.  For me the lime...even though it is neutral here.....and moisture were not suitable.  

Oops!  Think it may have been Windspiel......( think spelling is ok) 

Hostafan1

I have a stipa gigantea next to the pond which regularly overflows and the roots must be sitting in water from time to time. I'm sure " the books" wouldn't approve.

Just as well they can't read.

Advertisement

Dovefromabove

Well, we're definitely on chalk and it's very close to the surface just here - there's a chalk pit and tunnels a couple of hundred metres from our front door - we'll have to wait and see what happens 

Hostafan1

PM Dove, on a completely different topic.

Yes I know Hosta.   i find gigantea grows well with some moisture.  Mine...now have another....grow in deep rich soil; the "books" would disapprove 

determined to grow meconopsis bayleyii so will try again with it.  I WILL succeed because I want it   Books are prob right on this one though....cool, acid soil, decent shade, shelter.????  Hmmm!   Don't have that here.  Maybe not 

Last edited: 17 September 2016 10:33:04

Obelixx

Dove - my soil is alkaline too but is also a deep, fertile loam.  I planted my molinia first in the damp bed near the back of the house but their stems were repeatedly flattened by strong winds so I moved them over by the pond where they were more protected and I now get the tall stems I was after.

Stipas of any sort curl up their toes here.   Much too cold in winter even in the well drained parts.

I like hakonechloa and it did well in the damp bed but has been smothered this year by exuberant large leaved hostas which really enjoyed the long wet start to spring and summer.