London (change)
Today 20°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
10 messages
06/04/2014 at 14:11

I'm looking at buying some (more) grass seed as my lawn has suffered badly this year... I am thinking of buying a grass seed with micro clover. Does anyone have experience of using grass seed with micro clover and if so what are your thoughts? The mix is : 

SPECIES USED

Strong creeping red fescue 
Slender creeping red fescue, 
Smooth stalk meadow grass 
Microclover

any feedback greatly received!!!

06/04/2014 at 19:49

No one???? 

06/04/2014 at 19:51

What's micro clover?

White clover is lovely in lawns, bees love it

06/04/2014 at 19:59

I don't know I just remember seeing somewhere that lawns with micro clover stay greener and negate the need for as much feed due to the nitrogen released. It's more money than normal grass seed so I am wondering if it's worth it

06/04/2014 at 20:00

Microclover has proven to be more drought tolerant compared to grass only turf. Lawns with microclover stay green during dry Summers.  

At the same time savings on Nitrogen can be made as the microclover supplies Nitrogen to the lawn. This has the effect of the grass staying green and healthy due to an optimal supply of Nitrogen available throughout the growing period. The greening effect of microclover is very high.  

LESS WEED IN THE LAWN

The growth of microclover and grasses together is ideal - weed is not given a chance to spread! 

apparently ly it is small leaves white clover

06/04/2014 at 20:49

Should be good then. My grass doesn't get weed/feed or watered and the clover stays green longest.

The weed part of weed and feed (if you use that sort of thing) wil lkill it

06/04/2014 at 22:36

Forgive the silly question, but I'm sure it will be taken in good faith.

Your lawn!  Do you mean a grass area?  A usually lush well manicured area of grass.  or something like a bowling green?  From the types you list.  I would assume it is a general area used by children pets and all. From experience.  I'd simply go for a mixture of.  Chewings fescue.  Canadian brown top and ordinary meadow grass.  Properly maintaned, this will give good service for years.  Hope this helps.

07/04/2014 at 08:52

Mine yes I mean a general grass area that gets badly worn by a 3 year old and her Mass amounts of toys!!! I don't usually weed n feed as it tends to kill the moss areas but this i think will replace them so mmmmmm still undecided 

07/04/2014 at 08:54

I'd go for a pack of cheap and cheerful grass seed and a packet of white clover seed if it's not there already

07/04/2014 at 09:13

It's micro clover so the leaves are smaller than normal white clover I think making it more compact but saying that paying for the privilege of someone mixing some grass and seeds together I think I may do that nut

email image
10 messages