London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
5 messages
03/06/2012 at 12:03

My husband has almost finished his project for the front garden (almost taken a year)  He dug up the small triangular lawn and has made a two tier rockery but at the front he has put a small dry stone wall to encase it.. directly in front of the rockery he has put compost and will cover it in matting and now wants to add some ornamental grass then eventually pebbles along with the rest of his collection of rocks  Does anyone has any suggestions what he can put in it.. They  cant be too high.  Any suggestions please? I hate pampass grass so that wouldnt work.

03/06/2012 at 12:07

I would try the black grass Ophiopogon, low growing, good contrast with pebbles.

03/06/2012 at 12:10

Thank you, I am writing that down now to have have a look

03/06/2012 at 14:02

festuca glauca is good too.

03/06/2012 at 14:14

Grasses are wind pollinated so don't do anything to provide nectar for insects so do indeed use the black grass which is actually a form of lily and has blue flowers in late spring/early summer.

Bronze forms of carex buchananii are evergreen and clump forming and will neither get too high nor invade.  They look extremely good with verbena bonariensis which does grow tall but is light and airy and also has nectar and pollen for insects.

You could also consider forms of stipa such as tenuensis or even gigantica as this forms a fairly low mound of grassy foliage with tall, elegant stems of oat like flower and seed heads.

email image
5 messages