London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
121 to 140 of 213 messages
08/01/2014 at 23:16

I'm looking forward to seeing Pam's garden and hopefully seeing my sunflowers parents 

09/01/2014 at 10:00

looking forward to it

clueless

09/01/2014 at 11:06

I think the problem over the years has been lots of interest in the media re: garden design, with little thought about actually gardening and the two need to be separated.

Popular property shows in the 80's and 90's led to lots of interest in gardens, which IMO got people wanting nice gardens visually, but led to vacuous gardening and getting your hands dirty. IMO.

09/01/2014 at 11:11

Think you've hit the nail on the head Greg4 - so many gardening programmes (and garden shows) are driven by the marketing of hard landscaping and similar.  

09/01/2014 at 12:51

Dovefromabove, Yes even Chelsea is guilty here, I thought it was called Chelsea flower show not I'm a designer show.

I will probably be shot down now, Oh well.

09/01/2014 at 12:55
Greg4 wrote (see)

Dovefromabove, Yes even Chelsea is guilty here, I thought it was called Chelsea flower show not I'm a designer show.

I will probably be shot down now, Oh well.

I think there are several people here who will agree with you 

09/01/2014 at 13:09

I would love programmes to give advice about regional gardening in the UK- how useful to be given information but also be educated about the gardening possibilities around the UK 

09/01/2014 at 13:30

How do you mean catnip?  Are you talking about varying weather conditions or soil types or something else?

09/01/2014 at 14:01

Catnip I agree with you. My mothers garden and plants are two weeks at least a head of us so when we're told to plant in early February I never know if thats right for my mother or right for me. 

I found a lot if programmes like to produce a finished "ta da" effect which is terribly impressive but they never tell you what to plant so it looks that nice all year round.

09/01/2014 at 14:20

Gardens never look the same year round which is why we're advised to plant a variety to give year round interest.  The focus will naturally shift through the seasons starting with early spring bulbs and blossom through the exhuberance of early summer flowers, autum colour and winter evergreens and coloured stems and, if you're sheltered enough, some scented winter blooms.

I confess I fast forwarded through Dirmuid's glasshouses as my greenhouse is far too small for exotics to be given space when I need it to shelter treasures in winter.  It also gets far too cold for all that tender stuff and heating is not an option.

The shrub part wasn't bad but why, oh why, do these people have to shout and harangue with unnatural emphasis on every other word?  Why can't they talk to as though we're just having a conversation and exchanging information and views.  I find it very tiring.    Must be something the producers or directors ask for as even CB has started doing it and Monty Don's phrasing has gone all awry latterly too.

As others have said, more info on how, when and where would be good.   There are all sorts of plants I can't grow because my soil is too alkaline, though deep and fertile, and others I can't grow because it's too wet or too exposed or too cold in winter.   Must be the same for others maybe gardening on chalk or sand or high up and exposed or in frost pockets or mild and balmy..

09/01/2014 at 14:34

I think TV presenters go to a training course to learn how to talk like that obelixx. And to learn all those strange hand  signals.

09/01/2014 at 14:34

obelixx, I think presenters are asked to speak with this kind of enthusiasm. Producers seem to think us minions will prick up and take notice more, or gardening's  going the same way as much TV these days, LOUD and BRASH.

09/01/2014 at 14:43

True Greg. 

I know lots of people that speak with enthusiasm but still manage to sound normal.

I don't watch TV much.  there's the speech style and hand signals, the lack of substance to programmes, the 'celebrity gardeners' , the inaccuracies, the artificiality, I could go on and on.

I do go on and on

09/01/2014 at 15:00

When it comes to false enthusiasm I think Carol K is at the top of the tree. Maybe she's genuine, but she comes across as false to me. 

This is is a great series but as often, I find myself skipping through certain sections that don't interest me such as the glasshouse section. 

09/01/2014 at 15:05

No CK comes across as totally genuine to me , but that chap last night was surely performing semaphore - his gesticulations beat CK hands down - I did find that irritating.

I don't have a glasshouse but was interested in looking at the tender plants - and the home-made greenhouses were fantastic!

09/01/2014 at 15:47

Ponds tonight and stumperies really excited to see Charlie dimmock and just what I will need to help with the pond area 

Nice to see botanical garden of Wales garden I went there on holiday really nice lovely plants

Shrubs - so many nice ones to get there 

09/01/2014 at 15:54

Ponds and stumperies - brilliant 

09/01/2014 at 17:04

Garden Girl - I was wondering as you have been to the botanical garden of Wales if it is the same place that I went to many years ago where they had transformed an old mining site in a hollow into a dome and other other gardening features and two 'eco' type houses.  I can't remember exactly where in Wales it was and never heard of it since. 

09/01/2014 at 17:44

That could be the Eden project in Cornwall been there too - should go again some when nice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_Project

09/01/2014 at 18:23

It was in Wales Garden Girl and at the entrance they had model red Welsh dragons with 'smoke' puffing out of their mouths.  I am just wondering now if it was just a one off experiment and doesn't exist any more as the dome was only medium sized.  May be it was a forerunner of the Eden project.

121 to 140 of 213 messages