Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Green flowers

LG_LG_ Posts: 4,354

Inspired by the euphorbia love/hate on another thread, and previous threads where people have expressed disdain or bafflement about green flowers... I love them. Especially pale green and cream. Whenever I see a variety of a plant I like and the flowers are heading towards green, I like it even more. Those green-striped tulips, astrantia major with its green veins, many euphorbias and yes, alchemilla mollis too.

So are you a lover or a hater? And while we're about it, some suggestions of others I might not know about would be very welcome. I've no intention of creating a green-only garden (though that would be FAB) but increasing my knowledge would be good.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I like greenimage

The native hellebore, H foetidus, is a good creamy green.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

I prefer my flowers to be other colours, there is enough green already with leaves and grass. I like green, but not on flowers.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

I would not like a green flower only section, but some plants with green flowers are useful for contrasting with flowers of other colours. They fit into wild flower areas quite well.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,480

I love green flowers apart from alchemilla, especially if planted near blue or purple flowers

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I like green on leaves not flowersimage
  • Green flowers have a place but not in this garden I find them boring, black leaves and flowers do it for me especially if you put a bold colour with them.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Green - my favourite colour. I love it on flowers and foliage.

Calming and restful. The perfect foil for all other colours, whether you want a strong, dazzling contrast or a more muted sympathetic one  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I love green flowers, and cream/white flowers with green streaks/edges too. 

Odd, because I'm not particularly keen on a lot of variegated leaves ........ although I am learning to like some ............ actually I take that back ................... I used not to like variegated leaves, but now there's quite a lot that I like imageimage

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Like many above I like Green and cream blended together, in fact I'm tempted to have the flowers at my wedding in a cream and green colour scheme when me and my partner eventually have the pennies to get married! lol