London (change)
Today 13°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
11 messages
15/07/2013 at 19:36

I bought a Glaskins Perpetual Rhubarb plant from a Nursery to go with the other 4 varieties that I grow on my allotment. It is probably about 3 years old now and each year I wait for the stems to go red. They are green and the only time that they are red is when they die. SWMBO questions whether it is edible. It is a total contrast to my other varieties. It cannot be its situation as the Champagne next to it is OK.

I shall be interested in any thoughts/experiences.

15/07/2013 at 19:43

Some varieties are green.  Look it up, maybe.

15/07/2013 at 19:57

http://www.hilliergardencentres.co.uk/Adventures-in-gardening.php

Found this OldCompostHeap, apparently it is a green stemed type.

15/07/2013 at 20:02

I have a green stem one too, I wait till the stems are about an inch thick and pick them. Wonderfull.

16/07/2013 at 14:02

Thanks for replies, I had seen the Hillier comment before. Will try this Green rhubarb as soon as current large batch of typical red stemmed has been processed for freezing and eating. Shall let you know when we try it.

12/10/2013 at 14:37

As promised, reporting back on green stemmed Glaskins Perpetual Rhubarb.

We have tried two batches and found that they are quite acceptable. Its just the green colour that we are not used too! Another advantage seems to be that they are still thriving in October, when the variety Victoria( a glorious red) has gone to bed for the winter. Similarly other varieties have finished as expected. So we could say that, on this showing we have a late, late variety.

12/10/2013 at 14:40

Interesting to hear that, OCH. Thanks for getting back to us.

12/10/2013 at 18:40

Presumably you stopped pulling it some months ago to let it build up for next year?

13/10/2013 at 13:56

Welshonion, the Glaskins Perpetual Rhubarb was last picked at the start of the month, but is still growing vigorously, whereas other varieties have gone dormant or losing their leaves.

I have left all rhubarb uncovered to get some water after a dry summer here in Norfolk. When it stops raining, I shall weed and cover each crown with compost for the winter.

13/10/2013 at 15:05

I never pull rhubarb after early June, to let the crown build up for the following year. 

13/10/2013 at 18:38

"I never pull rhubarb after early June, to let the crown build up for the following year."

Well, Dovefromabove, with 5 varieties to choose from, I find that there is some that linger into July before they naturally die down in the Summer. It depends on the weather. I do not force rhubarb, so some do not produce large enough stems until May. SWMBO usual pulls them when 2 -3 foot long and red. Any longer and I have to pull them!

email image
11 messages