Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Green tomatoes

GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

I bought some tomatoes called Sweet Emerald from Tesco yesterday. They don't change colour but stay green. I tried one and it was just like eating a ripe red tomato. I've saved some seed to try growing plants, but I wondered if anyone had actually grown them from seed?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Those seeds may not come 'true'. I don't believe the plants would be any trickier than red toms, but I would buy proper seed for them.image

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

We're going to try them and then if nothing comes from them, buy seed instead.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

They're bound to be F1 so they won't grow true to type. There's also every chance they're a proprietary brand so seeds might not be available. A quick Google doesn't reveal any seed sources. Regardless, there are quite a few ripe-when-green varieties in circulation so alternatives wouldn't be difficult to find.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Green-when-ripe varieties are popular in the US, too. The Cherokee varieties - Purple and Chocolate - have a sister, Cherokee Green. Delicious. There are many others, including cherries. The only trick is judging the ripeness. You have to work by feel.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

Make green chutney

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.