London (change)
Today 11°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
11 messages
14/05/2013 at 22:40

hello, having ordered a selection of perennials to encourage more Bees into the garden and having now received them, i now have a problem because due to the weather/cold nights i can't put them in my unheated greenhouse in case they die.

six of the large ones are in my kitchen and i'm waiting for the large plug plants to be delivered.

can anyone suggest where they should be put when i receive them ???

thanks

14/05/2013 at 22:57

Are you talking about hardy perennials? If so you can plant them in the garden. If they are half hardy annuals you should be able to put them in the greenhouse to keep the frost off, but what temperatures are you getting at night? Is it below zero?

14/05/2013 at 23:06

Shazzy , please tell us what perennials they are.  The plugs should be potted up.   The large plants can be planted out. Your unheated greenhouse will be fine for your plants in any case.  

14/05/2013 at 23:18

OMG really ???

at the moment in South Wales we have gale force winds and torrential rain that's been lashing down all day !!!  It's also really cold, more like March than May.

Plants are as follows -- Salvia, dwarf Phlox and plugs are Iberis.

Maybe i can cover them with fleece in greenhouse for extra protection ??? 

14/05/2013 at 23:28

Shazza

Those plants are tough....no problem.  I would pot up your Iberis....candytuft....into 9cm pots and keep in greenhouse for few days then outside.  I would wait before planting these in garden until they have filled those pots.

No need to fleece any of those either. 

I had a nice bed entirely of iberis...loved it.  It was the usual white form and it contrasted well with a bed of yellow alyssum.  It was in my early days but everyone seemed to admire it.  Iberis makes good evergreen groundcover that comes alive with brilliant white flowers in spring

14/05/2013 at 23:31

I have all those plants outside at the moment, out all year long. But, as Verdun says, the little ones need potting on first.

15/05/2013 at 01:58

Hi Shazza

Im'e in SA7 where are you?  & there is someone from NPT on here as well.

15/05/2013 at 07:58

I brought all the babies and the recently potted under cover last night. Thought they might get washed out of their pots. Can't move in the GH. 

15/05/2013 at 08:10

My greenhouse and conservatory have been largely cleared of protected plants but parts of the garden full of plants in pots.  But, it shows how few winter losses I had this year.  already "scroungers" are appearing for spare plants but they will have to wait a little while yet.  Ha ha 

Still cold nights though and this season is so challenging so in cold areas still be cautious

15/05/2013 at 08:58

Mine are either outside or in the cold greenhouse with the door and all the vents open. They are quite tough

17/05/2013 at 22:35

hiya, thanks for all your replies.

it was really nice today being outside all day for a change, had a good clearout of rubish and washed all the pots ready.

will pot up the Iberis as they are quite small but no chance of putting outside yet as still really cold at night.

Happy gardener2, i'm in SA6  

email image
11 messages