London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 20°C
9 messages
22/10/2012 at 11:34

I have a gravelled area of 40 square metres. I would like to plant low growing gound cover ( 4 to 6 inches high ) prolific flowering or multi coloured leaf possibly. What do you think of 'Heuchera ?'.

Any suggestions please ?

22/10/2012 at 13:58

You don't say if it's in sun or shade. Gravel gardens are usually in sun with draught tolerant plants.Heuchera likes a bit of shade. You could look up Beth Chatto who created a superb gravel garden. Heuchera's are taller than 6 inches. You could use rockery plants as you are talking about quite low growing plants. You could use Google to look for plants for gravel gardens http://www.thebigplantnursery.com/algemeen/15/sub/29/Drought-Tolerant-Gravel-Gardens.html    is a site that tells you about them and suggests plants.

22/10/2012 at 14:15

Thank you for the info'

I would say the area is about 50% in shade - northerly facing.

Many thanks.

22/10/2012 at 15:54

Have you considered sedums or sempervivums. I have some lovely red sedums that wuld make interesting ground cover in gravel.

22/10/2012 at 17:50

Thanks Kate,

I'll take a look at them too.

All the best.

Keep the info' coming.

23/10/2012 at 10:37

Had a look at the website you mentioned yesterday - plenty of info' - thank you. Like the look of sedums and sempervivums too.

Keep ideas coming please.

Many thanks.

23/10/2012 at 18:16

Rock garden plants like aubretia, wonderful herbs like thyme, of which there are many kinds. A friend has just allowed lupins and poppies to self seed in a gravelled area and it looks splendid. Or there are many grasses, tall and short.

04/11/2012 at 12:44

How do I get poppies to self seed ?  I have weed fabric under the gravel.

Any suggestions please ?

I've made a note of all your other suggestions. Very helpful - thank you all.

04/11/2012 at 13:14

If you have a membrane under the gravel self-scattered seeds will be unable to grow, even if they germinate in the gravel, as they will be unable to put roots down into the soil.  

So, if you want your poppies to spread you should gather the seeds as the pods ripen, and sow the seeds in a seed tray and then pot on until you have sturdy plants.  Then scrape back the gravel and cut a cross in the membrane where you want the plants to grow, fold the corners under and plant them in the soil (adding some soil improver/compost etc ).

email image
9 messages