London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
11 messages
26/09/2012 at 19:04
I grow a couple of comicifugas....now acteas......but they do not,produce enough flower spikes for me. Anyone growing these and getting loads of,flower spikes? If so, advice appreciated please. I provide good rich soil, shade and moisture and recommended varieties. Right now I have 4 or 5 spikes on one and 3 on another
26/09/2012 at 19:06
Exit thump.this blasted iPad keeps changing my words. I'm asking about cimicifugas
26/09/2012 at 19:07
Should have been ecky thump. Think I'll start posting on my desktop!!
26/09/2012 at 19:18

I grow these too. My eldest plant always has, until this year & the 'b' slugs, had more flower spikes than a younger plant, so perhaps age of plant/size of clump is a reason? J.

26/09/2012 at 20:16
Ok jo4eyes, thanks for that. Patience then I guess but that's hard for me. I grow brunette and pink spike. What is your favourite variety?
26/09/2012 at 23:27

Comicifugas sounds much more fun, will google to see what the plant is like as I have not heard of it. My garden has been over run with slugs and snails this season so I guess any plant with spires will be devoured in bud.

26/09/2012 at 23:37

Have just looked, reminds me, a litle, of the ligularia that I have.

27/09/2012 at 07:24

My Cimifuga hasn't flowered at all this year I will put it down to the weather

Pam LL x

27/09/2012 at 12:18

Hi

WEnt to Harlow Carr last week and took this hoto as Actea/Cimifuga is on my wish list. The plants did not seem to have large clumps of flwers but there were a lot of plants. 

Went to their garden centre as thought they would have some but alas no

Photo not Brill but gives an idea.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/12084.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

27/09/2012 at 13:19

Christopher, not sure of the varieties of mine.They are great plants for the Autumn- no staking needed! Try smelling them too.

The burgundy leaved one is the youngest. It may be in a slightly too dry a spot, but shall keep a watch & ensure well mulched. Can always move it if it continues to struggle a bit. The big original one I definitely moved when the adjacent trees encroached & dried things out.

That shot from Harlow Carr really shows what can be done when you have space & several plants.

Am sure I got both of mine from RHS shows as small plants. So anybody going to Malvern this next week may find them. Otherwise I know that they have been spotted at Tatton. More a decent herbaceous plant nursery type of plant rather than GC, although have seen them at one near us- at a price! RHS gardens too may have them. J.

27/09/2012 at 22:30

Thanks to Christopher2 for mentioning Actea/cimifuga and Bjay for photo at harlow carr. Cimifuga now on my wishlist.

email image
11 messages