Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Growing in cracks

I'm stuck with 3 separate areas of ugly paving for at least another 2 summers. I have big plans for the areas surrounding them, but is there anything that I can grow in some of the cracks / scruffier areas of wall etc to soften them? I love aubrieta and have looked at that, but what else might like to live there? Mostly the cracks are a finger or two in width, so not huge. Drainage seems fine, haven't had any pooling of water in those areas at all. It would need to be fairly resistant to footfall, and hardy. 

Thanks!

• Creeping thyme is perfect for growing between paving stones  http://www.seedaholic.com/thymus-serpyllum-creeping-thyme.html  and it's fine with being walked on and of course, when you do walk on it you get that beautiful  perfume to remind you of Mediterranean summers image

Just get some seeds and brush them into the cracks. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• The cracks in my own pathways seem to germinate more seeds than anywhere else!!

Seeds mixed with a little sandy soil brushed in is probably all that you need. A cheap pack of aubretia seed, alysum if you like it, almost anything can succeed if it wants to !. A trip to Aldi or Lidl or a pound shop will keep your costs right down.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

The most beauiful cracks in paving i saw were at Great Dixter. Christopher LLoyd had dierama (angels fishing rods) self seeded into the cracks. We went just as they were in full flow, and they looked gorgeous. Other than that, and a lot more practical, I'd go with scented thymes.

• Hi LH!  Erigeron karvinskianus grew happily with hardly any soil in the cracks between my old patio paving stones.  Masses of white, pink and mauve daisies all summer, and self seeds abundantly.

• You could try lawn chamomile. I have this in the cracks in my paving, It doesn't flower but smells amazing when you walk on it and has pretty delicate foliage. It also doesn't mind being walked on, just bounces back. Also I found it very easy to split, I only bought 3 small pots and then divided into small pieces, it very quickly spread and covered the gaps nicely, very easy maintenance! image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Helianthemum looks nice but not so good for walking on

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

helianthemum look nice but  not so good for being walked on

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • You could try pennyroyal or Corsican mint.