Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Growing plants in winter?

ziggyziggy Posts: 32
Just a thought. Was wondering this time of year if it's worth or possible to grow some plants in doors on the window ledge in a propagater? Or would they just be week and leggy. I normally do this in the Spring but get a bit bored this time of year so thought I might give it a try. Many thanks

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Forget it waste of time and money for most things-consider what are you going to do with them when germinated?-and yes they would be weak and leggy

March is usually early enough

• ziggyziggy Posts: 32

Thanks for the reply, thought that might be the case. 

Just have to wait til the spring then.

• Mustard and cress, or sprouting seeds are about the limit at this time of year - but it can be fun growing them and they'll give you fresh veg nutrients while there's little available in the garden. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

The only trhing I'd sow at this time of year is a hardy plant that needs cold before it germinates in spring. That would be left outside, no protection. I'd go with the mustard and cress idea if I were you.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Good advice above.If I were you I'd plant up some bulbs for indoors and out - hyacinths, daffodils etc. Lots of places are selling off their bulbs at the moment and as long as they are firm you still have time to plant. Then you can watch things primed to grow at this time of year do their thing! It gives you a reason to look forward to the dark days of January - watching the shoots and then the buds and flowers of crocuses, snowdrops, early daffodils...You can take cuttings - look on the GW page for 'what to do now; then there are all the jobs we 'never get around to' which will give you a head start when spring does get here....image 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I'd just look at plant and seed catalogues and plan and dream........

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I love a good seed catalogue. I love playing in the garden in winter as well, bit of hacking and pruning, watching for the first bulbs and new shoots, trying not to tread on them. I can never remember where what is going to come through, lots of surprises.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.