London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
6 messages
13/05/2013 at 20:45

Growi g sweet peas and beans together is fIne

However. I would put one sweet Pea per cane. They will swamp your beans otherwise

How about 2 wigwams though?  One for beans and one for sweet Peas?  Spacing about 6" for both beans and sweet Peas

A mulch for walking on is good idea.  I prefer my sweet Peas to be all same colour too.  White aNd scented

14/05/2013 at 15:24

I've grown sweet peas and runner beans, just as you said, but I always grow 2 beans per cane. The sweet peas don't do that well here, South West France, so I put them on the shadier side because it can be too hot for them in summer. Now I just do beans, but it used to work as you said when I lived in England. I put rotted manure in the bottom. It doesn't have to be homemade compost, you can buy a bag of something water retaining and soil improving like compost or rotted manure. You can do a 9 pole wigwam, I had a neighbour who used to do a 12 pole one, it depends how much room you have.

14/05/2013 at 17:24

Hello happy. 9 sweet peas is exactly the number I plant.  They will smother your wigwam and look wonderful....no problem. I pinch them out too to encourage bushyness.  

Dig a reasonable hole and incorporate some compost or manure and some fish blood n bone fertiliser.  And pick, pick and pick again.  Enjoy your sweet peas happy

14/05/2013 at 22:53

Glad you are pleased with the fence.

15/05/2013 at 15:54

Hello, I've sent you a message.

27/05/2013 at 10:43

I would use a mixture, but others may say differently. Here in France I wouldn't have the choice as they don't sell J I, but I found it very good in the past. I use organic fertiliser which is slow release so you don't need to renew it very often, perhaps monthly it should say on the packet. I hope the pot is quite deep.

email image
6 messages