Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Growing sweetcorn

Please if anyone knows what I mean please repond

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318

and you need wind (or a little judicious shaking) to introduce the guys to the dolls. This is why recommendation is to plant in a block and not a row. I have not bothered this year as I was late getting going and the storms and rain put me off, hope you have every success  image

Pansyface: Only just found out why some posts are in bold, moving over to the dark side from now on  image

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

If they are in pots, cluster them together and tap the stems.the pollen will then fall onto the female flowers , where the cobs form lower down. You may need to do it a few days running. usually on a dry day ( I wish) the pollen forms a little cloud as you tap it.

Mine are outside but only 18 inches high. they are some way off flowering yet, but are planted in a block matrix pattern.

• Hi I have no flowers yet 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Sweet corn flowers do not look like flowers, they are a grass.