Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Guess the little tree

Here are some pics of the mystery tree.. any idea's? We found it towards the end of last summer after clearing out loads of overgrown bushes all around it, so cant imagine it has had much light before we discovered it,

Try to ignore all the ivy growing behind it, trying to make the photo's like a magic eye image. Hopefully this little fella can have a whole new life now that it is free of the surrounding overgrowth!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

My guess is a Chaenomeles japonica, with a bit of sunshine you might get some blossoms in the early spring, then you'll know for sure image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Lion SLion S Posts: 263

It's a Cotoneaster. Not sure which variety though, I think it's C.dammeri.

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

If it's got vicious thorns, then yes a Chaenomeles.

But it also looks like a Caenothus, but that would be downright miserable in overgrown shade. J.

• That's one of the things that suprised me, was that it was so healthy looking when we unvailed it from the many tree's and bushes around it!

Keep the suggestions coming and I'll Google image the answers to try and shed some light on what it is! image
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I thought it may be cotoneaster - resillient things, then I thought pyracantha but not evergreen and has thorns, Does it have thorns?  so then I thought chaenomeles, some are semi- evergreen, but if it has been choked may not have flowers this year.

A lot of maybe really image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

The shoot tips and some of the leaves do look very like one of the cotoneasters. Has it been cut back and regrown on that little trunk? 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

My first thought was an azalea.  Look to see whether there are any thorns.

• ceanothus maybe?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I'd wondered about a ceanothus too, but I looked carefully  at the white one at work - the leaves are not the same texture, and seem slightly toothed whereas these are not toothed.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Privet?