Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Guess the plant name..

I have a few cuttings of this plant which I have no idea what it is called. It appears to be evergreen. the stems are red/orange and spongy. When the stem is cut it oozes white sticky sap. No idea of flowers as it is from a friends front garden in open sunny position.

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Euphorbia.

• Thank you Kate1123.

I have checked up on more details of this plant.  I shall pass the name onto my friend. They will be delighted to know its name at last.

• Thank you Christopher2 for the safety info.

• lilweadlilwead Posts: 32

Euphorbia Mellifera or Honey Spurge...there is an enormous one growing in the Gardens of Heligan, in a little courtyard garden. When it's in flower it has the most fantastic honey smell and bees absolutely adore it. I have one on the corner of my garden, after searching for it for ages, and it can be a bit of a thug! All I'd ever read about it was that it was a little tender....NOT in my garden in Plymouth...it has to be chopped back regularly! Roots easily from pieces pulled from the base, or layered. Seems like it needs a corner where it can do its own thing, to flower at its best. Be careful though, like all spurges/euphorbia, it has a milky sap than can cause irritation. Wouldn't be without my lovable thug though!