Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gunnera manicata

pash2pash2 Posts: 95

Hi My Gunnera manicata is growing well and there is some strange oblong growths on it

two in fact they look like little stems on a branch here is an example i found

What are they?

Thanks

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Do you mean the brown cone type thing?

It's a flower spike.

• Hi,

That is the flower stalk - you may even get some seeds from it if the flower stalk makes it through winter.

• Those are the flowers come seed part,I keep mine well watered and in winter fold the leaves over the flower heads to keep the frost at  bay.

• pash2pash2 Posts: 95

Thanks

• Beautiful plant pash2! Folding the browning/dying leaves over the centre of the plant in winter really works well as flowering rose suggests & shelters any other little spring flowering plants/ bulbs growing under it as well!

• I also wonder if you have Gunnera tinctoria not manicata now I see the stalk...

This is my Plant NOT the one above

fidgetbones wrote (see)

Do you mean the brown cone type thing?

It's a flower spike.

Yes
    Thank you

Does this mean i can collect seeds from it at a later date?

If so How?

I  also understand that i can split it in march to get another plant, again how?

I would love a range of these plants in my garden as they dont halve stop my garden from flooding. and whilst in Scotland last week i noticed a "wall" of these plant againt someones fence in Galloway or very near to Galloway on the A712

Thank you very much for your paitence

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Is that end of the lawn boggy? I expected to see it at the side of a pond.