Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

GW front garden Lewisham

B3B3 Posts: 27,485

As someone who gardens really close to Lewisham, may I advise members of the forum that our clay soil is not magical. We too need to water our plants, despite the impression you may have received from tonight's GW

In London. Keen but lazy.

• Are you referring to the use of membrane?  Pretty sure that she used the  water permeable type. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,485

She didn't put water in the hole. It looked like she was planting in dust.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,485

A vulture in the desert

• I liked that pittosporum. I might need one or two of those ...

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457

I thought they did a great job of turning an eyesore into something lovely.  Those bindweed roots looked uuugly! Ew!

• Did they name the pittosporum? I think it's one called 'Tandara Gold'. Just happened to turn on by mistake and catch that bit (I used to police in Lewisham and was trying to recognise where they were!). I never use membrane, preferring to weed and prepare thoroughly and then catch emerging weeds as they show.  It's such a fiddle to plant through or change anything and the plastic ones shred and unravel very annoyingly.  I do accept it has its uses, but for me the annoyance and difficulties it creates far outweigh the benefits, even using the 'cloth' type. 

H-C   

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,140

They did name it HC - I've recorded the programme so I'll play it back again when I get a moment.  

When I had a garden full of bind weed I spent a year spraying with glyphosate and digging it out to get rid of it all - it did work.  However I agree that membrane has it's uses - there wasn't the time to do the job 'properly'  and this was the way to get a quick fix.  As long as the person responsible for the garden in the future is prepared to apply glyphosate to any bindweed shoots peeking around the edges of the membrane, it'll be ok. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I'd rather they'd not used membrane. I hate the stuff. 

Let the leaves fall and the worms do their work. The bindweed, as we all know, WILL be back, membrane of no.

There were two pittosporum in the garden. For those watching later,maybe you can check something. I'm pretty sure she said the first one was Tom Thumb, but the leaves looked green. Tom Thumb has purple leaves,  admittedly the new growth is green. Wasn't paying much attention so might have missed something.

I love Alan's Corten Steel boxes. When I get my 2 million euros, I'll have a few dozen of them for my "allotment."

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Aym, didn't you hear? I've had an email to say I've won 2 million euros . I've sent all my personal details including bank details so the money will be with me any day now. Won't it?image

Devon.