London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
14 messages
20/05/2013 at 14:58

Has anyone else been having problems with theirs?

Got mine in a 9cm pot back in late April and planted it in free draining and moist site, a little sun but shady most of the day - the bursery sold it as plant suitable for shade. My other one is in a brighter, sunnier spot, also free-draining.

I know it has been unseasonably cold and grey, but is it normal that they still look like small, shrivelled things with only 2 teeny bright green leaves, a month on?

Am I expecting miracles, given the rubbish Spring, should I move them or give up?!

20/05/2013 at 14:58

nursery, even 

20/05/2013 at 15:01

Mine are in shade most of the year except at the height of summer but the soil is moist even in summer and quite damp in winter.  They're growing well and spreading at a reasonable rate.

Maybe yours are just a bit too cold this year and maybe too dry.   Try watering them in dry spells and then be patient and wait for some warmth to get them going.

20/05/2013 at 15:30

They need well draining soil. They are forest plants, so used to soil being on the dry side.

I have Hakonechloa macra 'Alboaurea' and it is in semi-shade and doing well this year - it is in a large well draining pot.

20/05/2013 at 16:36

thanks obelixx - due to the rubbish Spring, they have been cold and always moist...I guess I have to be patient...do they need any special soil? Can't wait 'til mine spread a bit!

20/05/2013 at 16:40

thanks blairs - they are both in very well-drained soil on my shadier/foresty area of the garden...I wonder, once established, if they pick up much faster in the Spring as well...

20/05/2013 at 18:56

Jess, I would,pot up with fresh compost.

Hackonechloa needs moisture but they will grow in full sun.  I have several clumps in the ground and in pots in sun and shade.  I think they look sensational in large pots.  They are slow initially then pick up to become quite vigorous.  They love moisture and to give them a spurt water them well occasionally.

They don't need special soil but not free draining.  I think the problem is ??ou have given them conditions they simply don't like, viz., too dry

Associate hackonochloa with blue flowers......verbena rigida, salvia patens....or with purple Heucheras.  (I do both) 

So. Patience jess.  Water them and wait

20/05/2013 at 19:57

Thanks Verdun. Ah all you people with thriving Haks  

Actualy, the ground they are in is always moist - especially recently - but never dries out. They also went into new compost mixed in with well rotted stuff too. Fresh start.

In the brief time since they've been planted, we've had a week of dry and warm weather during which I watered them additionally.

I am trying to do everything they need - honest!

20/05/2013 at 23:59

Well, alright then!  If you treat them badly jess I have ways ffinding out......lol

Seriously you should just let them do their thing now.  Since  they are in the ground no need to water so much esp as they are small plants

21/05/2013 at 07:56

I just saw this thread and I think part of the problem is that any plant going from a little pot into the ground this spring is going to struggle.  Up here in Scotland most small plants bought in early spring  would have a tough time establishing as they are often last year's cuttings or seedlings which have just been potted on - but they're  tiny as they haven't had time yet to grow a decent rootball. I usually wait a month or two with anything that size before I put it in the ground. Verdun's advice is right- pot it on and give it a little time and I'm sure it'll come away. They are lovely plants.

21/05/2013 at 08:34

Yep, always best to grow small plants on before plantIng out into the open ground.  Very small plants just struggle.  It means waiting just a few weeks to put out a much bigger plant

21/05/2013 at 10:04

Thanks Fairy and Verdun (hello again V and hahaha!)

Too late to pot on now  oops...already I ground from when I recieved them.

I also put them in the ground during the lovely 10 days of actual SPRING we had back late April/early May...now long gone  

Remember Spring?

I do just about...

Hopefully they'll slowly catch up, if all else is right then, in spite of my ignorance 

21/05/2013 at 15:56

They are slow growing - hence the price! Looks great after 5-6 years. Honestly worth the wait.

21/05/2013 at 19:27

I believe you! The photos I've seen are gorgeous - this bright yello, almost cascading effect - can't wait. But am very impatient by nature!

email image
14 messages