London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
81 to 100 of 211 messages
02/07/2013 at 10:15

Hi. Good comments. our gardens are our gardens and we all have our own ideas and methods of achieving what we want in them and how we use them, it all has to work in with the circumstancres which prevail in each. T'would never do if they were all the same. My plot in a pic does perhaps look fussy but it it is not really though it is very tidy - I can make a difference between the two.  Comment was made ref Montbretia and I mentioned the old (as was) Antholiza - here it is providing height and contrast with the plants around it though still

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26595.jpg?width=424&height=350&mode=max

a third to grow yet height.

02/07/2013 at 10:16

...Keen 1...

oh I didn't mean to indicate that men make better gardeners than women at all, just different, speaking very generally here... I think they tend to go about it differently... and we may prefer one over the other... some gardens can look quite masculine to me, somewhat ordered, clipped, manicured and controlled, with everything in their proper places... I usually find it's a male gardener in command here...... men tend to take a similar line with their cars....

perhaps many ladies are just too busy with other matters to be so pre-occupied with such perfection....

..and some of their plant choices don't always appeal to me... and I would not doubt the same is true vice versa... which is why I think it's unwise to be too dogmatic about the appeal of certain types of plants, as what one person enjoys, another might find quite unappealing...

...dear Gertrude Jekyll loved her Japanese Knotweed, seemingly unaware of it's full potential.... well, I suppose it has a certain something...je ne sais quoi...?

02/07/2013 at 10:27

Hi Salino. Agree with what you say. Ref the Knotweed that certainly was "Knot" Gertrudes best idea for sure, talk about Triffids. Also to be honest some of herher style of gardening seemed a little too rigid  to me. I did actually forget to mention Mrs. Sackville West. Ref the single Roses you asked me about heres a couple of pics - they have been flowering for some time now and that scent reaches when quite a way away.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26597.jpg?width=424&height=350&mode=max

02/07/2013 at 10:28

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26598.jpg?width=424&height=350&mode=max

02/07/2013 at 11:05

Male or female categorically makes no difference to style or preferences of the gardener.  

An acquaintance of mine constantly referred to male or female "sides" whenever she spoke about people.  Used to drive me bonkers....bonkers I tell you!  If a bloke expressed sympathy or empathy, for example, it was his female side coming out" she said, as though it was essentially a female quality.

My garden is ordered in large parts......don't allow climbers into conifers or evergreens for example simply because the conifers/ evergreens would be spoiled when those climbers' season had gone. Is that a "male" attribute?  I also like some plants to "merge"....billowing geraniums around grasses or example.  Is that a "female" exclusive?   No, male and female doesn't determine a garden.....it's simply what that "person" enjoys and nothing more complicated than that folks!

02/07/2013 at 11:52

...I think it's as much to do with masculine and feminine expression, often polarised in people and it shows up in gardening... as it does with many things in life...

Keen 1, gorgeous roses, they have a Rugosa look about them... would you say..?

02/07/2013 at 12:26

As a man , living on his own through no fault of his own, and who has just spent 3 hours cleaning the house, with washing clothes to come I think that it is time we all thought of another subject to discuss. You are all digging yourselves into larger and larger holes and it is time to stop before we reach Australia where things can only get worse.

02/07/2013 at 12:43

Oky doky woody.  Enjoy doing the dishes.   Have nice day

02/07/2013 at 14:08

Hi. Agreed with Woodgreen - getting a bit heavy and off track - back to the hands on (plants) stuff.     Salino.   Ref the Roses certainly look like  as you said rugosas. I did mention that I grew them and one more which is not yet flowering size from seeds from "aquired" Haws in hedges. This other one is a deeper red than that sent. The hedge was a mixed one round the garden of a large House and was growing road side of a steel 6 ft fence to hide it. I noted them when in flower, in Autumn took a couple of Haws, removed the seeds and sowed in pots of compost then put them in the very coldest part of the garden all winter to get a good frosting.  Came the Spring there they wuz. Grew the seedlings on, potted them individually and then into the garden. All other Roses here are climbers - along the garage pink, yellow,red and a duo coloured one ( Picotee?) with some Clematis growing through them and a white on the back corner of the bungalow. Ref that (Picotee?) you could pse tell me what they are called - this is pink with a deeper red striping in it and has a "crinkly" look to the foliage. Nice to natter for sure.

02/07/2013 at 14:51

...I wonder if that picotee rose is 'Handel', Keen1,  see what you think of that... it's a popular climbing rose...

...well done for getting those seeds going... I think they are Rugosa's as they develop the most wonderful large hips after flowering...   I like them very much although they sucker rather a lot and go on to make large spreading bushes, invading around them...got a bit fed up with that...I used to grow several varieties of these, the most scented was a white one called 'Blanc Double de Coubert'.. your white one wouldn't be this, more like Rosa Rugosa 'Alba'... and the pink, it's 'Rubra' version.... that's what they look like to me...

I tried to breed a rose once, crossing 'Zephirine Drouhin' with some other, I forget which.... unfortunately, living in Kent at the time,  the hurricane of 1987 blew the lot away...

..do you have a favourite Hosta, Mr Keen...? I only grow one, Sieboldiana 'Elegans'... it's just in flower now, looks quite nice... leaves a bit eaten by snails but I don't worry too much about that.... I don't think you would care for that though... would you...?

02/07/2013 at 14:55
Woodgreen wonderboy wrote (see)

As a man , living on his own through no fault of his own, and who has just spent 3 hours cleaning the house, with washing clothes to come I think that it is time we all thought of another subject to discuss. You are all digging yourselves into larger and larger holes and it is time to stop before we reach Australia where things can only get worse.

...I'm sorry to hear you have to do all the cleaning... I know what that's like..

no problem about the discussion, it's only a bit of fun really... I always think that as long as we don't state our opinions as being facts - which some people tend to do - then we can either agree or not as the case may be...

...Verdun forgets that I too was brought up on pasties, saffron cake and clotted cream... some might think it didn't do either of us any good... it wouldn't do anyone any good... in my opinion...

02/07/2013 at 17:13

Hi Salino. Much enjoy your company and your comments - feel we have much in common - lets please keep nattering. Ref the Roses I do feel and am sure that they are a speciality of yours whereas with myself they are just another lovely but also just running member of my garden taking second place to my own preferred plants etc. - to each their own for sure. A little in thin air ref your last comments here re pasties, saffron cake and clotted cream ( a ref to Cornwall?) - care to explain but if not totally understood.  Have another post re plants which will follow and hopefully it will keep this ( to me for sure) interesting topic going. Your name Salino interests me and would without prying love to know what it represents, an actual name perthaps?.

do. understand this.

02/07/2013 at 17:28

hi Keen... thanks for your prompt reply... always enjoy talking about plants, especially roses.... I don't talk about much else really, unless it's a bit tongue in cheek stuff... I think it's nice to add little bits to a discussion, opinions and suchlike...

yes Cornish born and bred I'm afraid... I think there are a few others on here from that region and still living there.... I moved away some time ago... work related reasons mostly...

Salino - appreciate you asking... if you ever watch a film called 'The Sting'... well, I hope so, it's a favourite old film of mine...

you've got me interested in growing roses from seeds now.... I've been checking this out and I'm going to give it a go myself this autumn... from what I gather, I shall pick a hip when it turns orange.. in about November... empty out the seeds into water and you're suppose to add a mild bleach solution to clean them... before putting into damp tissue and into the fridge to stratify until end January... after that the seeds can be sewn in pots...and left outside....   may take some time to germinate... couple of years maybe... or straight away that Spring... did you know that when the seedlings have two sets of leaves, and you transplant them on, that you should only touch the leaves, not the stem, as apparently oil from your hands can kill the plants at this point.... I was surprised at that...

does any of that make sense to you...??

it will be fun to get one's very own rose this way... I'm determined to give this a try...but not sure which rose I shall choose...

..oh, what's that little yellow shrub in your photo above, the one on the right... I can't quite tell from the image... I like bright plants like that.. one or two...

02/07/2013 at 17:31

Verd. ...we'll leave them to it shall we? see on the evening thread.

02/07/2013 at 17:33

Hi. Ref that post I referred to in last comment. Gardening is for sure a challenge all round because to a large extent we are going against nature (Ma) and trying to manipulate it all to our way of thinking rather than going along with hers. This will particularly apply to us "been at it for years" types and my thoughts are of those plants that we would dearly love to have grown but which in spite of trying our best to give them exactly the conditions they require( ref experts) they just  did not want to know about us and after a time walked out. They did not need to be anything exotic or grand exactly, they varied from quite humble plants ( as with me) right up to the "you can't grow them" types. Ok but even so we did give them a go. How about telling of your own special little successes and failures - I will tell you of mine and theres been quite a number. Give it a go please and help keep this thread going since there is interest.

02/07/2013 at 17:55

...I do have a problem with large flowered Clematis... they so often wilt on me or get eaten by snails before they've got off the ground... I probably don't feed them enough either... had many disappointents...

..I love these Hosta flowers... otherwise I'm not a great lover of the plants, but the flowers are gorgeous I think... do you let yours flower or cut them off, as I think some do...?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Qza-25oTOTI/UdMDg8YsvaI/AAAAAAAAA5E/_ODJRWtqqeE/s800/DSC01264.JPG

03/07/2013 at 07:46

Hi Salino - all. Thank you for your prompt responses - as I said nice to natter. Ref the Hostas . Being a foliage nut I am madly keen on them  and have quite a number of all sizes. and variations of single and variegated leaves in the garden. These include the species and the named varieties of which there is now a mass of  in  the garden centres, all  beauts to me, believe a lot come from US. All of my differents combos will almost for sure t contain one . I have always found them completely troublefree to grow other than the dreaded slug and snail problem though having lived in dryish to very dry areas always their numbers (and also by other means) were much reduced - first sign of attack anywhere and I hunt them out - very sadly nothing like the same number of Thrushes around now, where I am now rarely see them and apart from their pest control do so miss their song. As well as in the ground I grow several in large containers and here the S&S are easily controlled. I have others in pots as well and shift them here and there to provide a"something" when a plant has finished and died back. I also always leave them to flower but do make a point of cutting off the stems when they have finished before the seeds form.  As for a favourite well difficult that, I also love sieboldiana and elegans as you do but I suppose of all its Frances Williams with its blue yellow edged leaves. I have a plant I bought years ago from Mrs. Fish  called elata  with large plain green only leaves. I have found also that its not all that unusual for a Hosta to grow a "sport" and I acquired a nice plain yellow from a variegated one that way. - marked it with wool and dug it/root off in autumn- it came back the same. I do not know if my posts are too long and also if I am in order sending pics contnuously - I would like to send pics of my Hostas as they are at their best right now and just beginning to flower. Can you tell me pse?.Regards. .

03/07/2013 at 08:02

please post more pics of your hostas would love to ss them

03/07/2013 at 08:03

Hi Salino - all. Ref the growing roses from seed. You are looking at going about it as by the book and probably that is more the way to go - in my case the Haws were picked, opened and the seeds as they were sown straight into a pot of compost and out into the coldest part of the garden all winter - cannot for sure remember now if they stood one or two, going by what you said probably two. I suppose mine was the Ma way of doing it -  only the natural elements to take the process along but when they showed up there they were there aplenty.  The bushes size etc I agree with you but I mentioned that "woodsy" bit of land I can use to garden and mine grow there with as much space as they want.. Interestingly the red only shows red flowers but the other has both red and white seemingly on the same bush - can only assume that when I originally potted on the small ex seedlings I managed to get one of each together somehow - whatever whatever the result is good.

03/07/2013 at 08:11

Salino, those hosta flowers look like regal lilies.

81 to 100 of 211 messages