London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
161 to 180 of 211 messages
05/07/2013 at 21:58

Keen, no never sure of anything.  I try associating plants but sometime the plant I really want to have in the garden ...must have it planted.......is hard to place.  I'm always changing things...even in full summer I will move plants.

Talking of "diseased" plants many Heucheras....which generally I like....look very sick to me and quickly discarded.

Agree we all like different things in the garden.....don't like hard landscaping,( can do it, have done it)  prefer grass to slabs for the patio....what better to sit on, lie on or play on than lovely soft green grass and living mulches instead of those awful, soil- destroying plastic membranes?

I love to see happy gardens..whether they are cottage gardens, gardens full of annuals or rose gardens.  When the owner is proud of his creation there is joy and it's infectious

To me no garden is better than another if its lovingly tended

06/07/2013 at 00:22

...I do that too, move things around any time that's convenient... including roses in summer... not to be recommended though...but you have to do things when it suits I think...

Mr Syd... I see you grow Hemerocallis - Daylillies if we are not to be 'high falutin'... names please if you have them...? the main season for these is just starting... I've not grown many and I like those which have a marked 'star' shape as opposed to those that are more cupped... I also like the fiery orange/reds, not so keen on apricots/pinks or yellows.... this is an old one that's still doing the rounds but I do like it - Crimson Pirate -... an apt name I think...

I grow in a little group of 3, that's all I have room for... in America where they are so popular, I used to see them grown along a border in front of their wood board houses, like a little hedge,  and I copied that style in my last garden... if only they flowered for a bit longer... it seems over all too soon...well, a month or 6 weeks would you say for most..?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26841.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

...apart from those many and varied interests... do you have any sporting ones at all? us gardeners seem rarely to get much time for anything else... would you agree..?... like the Queen, I admit to watching horse racing and occasionally have a flutter...

06/07/2013 at 10:29

Hi Verdun. Firstly again I say it is really nice to natter to you and thank you - you grow a much wider range of plants than I do  and I am sure are far more knowledgeable than myself. May I clear up this "hard landscaping" and "preferring grass" thing. My first garden was twice as big as the second and this one. In this first I also loved  grass as preferred to paving etc of which there there was none , only necessarfy paths.. I had some good meadow grass on that site and made the most of it leaving all the natural undulations in and cutting beds with shrubs across it in two places to create corners and to avoid seeing it all at one look. Mowing - a chore to so many always was/is to me a matter of simply taking the mower for a walk and having a good look at things on the way round. Altogether there I had approx 500 plant "names" on my lists of all types but this total also included varieties etc etc so, never got round to counting the Species (?) etc.   Second garden apart from a small patch of grass for sitting out at the back and a small paved area immediately outside was all cultivated with plants, that included the whole of the front garden. Problem again there was it was like this one, in the dryest parts of Country - over the years ( 28) it got drier and drier there and eventually I had to shingle the front - also I was getting older and still working full time. This one is in an even drier area and there is as I have said also problems - firstly the Moles and believe me in all this area  and for a long ways around they are really very very numerous, this garden here was riddled with them and hills when we arrived - I have told you I sheeted and shingled all the front to get it under control and also that portion of the back garden over to the woods which also got more than its share of attention from them. I prefer by far to see a nice neat stony(not paved) area with some containers etc than a shambles looking like a battlefield recently been shelled. I have approx one third of the garden used for plants and a small area of grass but here again is another problem with this - all around here is pretty well hopeles for growing grass ( nicely as for garden) due to the ravages of a Cockchafer Beetle of some sort eating all the roots. Lady next door because she loved her grass  had all the soil taken out and renewed but in no time it was back to normal,  now paved.  I like a bit of variety of surfaces/textures etc but I cannot stand seeing this blocking over a whole garden with the inevitable umpteen cars etc standing on it -. nuff said .Better end here but my true style of gardening is on the cottage garden style with as many plants packed in as poss. Thanks again and good to natter to you. Regards.

06/07/2013 at 10:41

Hi Salino. As I have just said to Verdun this garden here is only approx one third in cultivation for reasons stated plus my age etc  - whilst still a pretty (not literally) nimble lad I am not as sprightly as I was. Ref the hard landscaping again see my comments to Verdun last. I have always tried to grow as wide and varied a range of plants as poss and acordinlgly just a few of each can be grown, as with the Daylilies. I have just a few - the bog standard one which I love with the red/orange flrs - a semi double form of this called Kwanso Flore Pleno, Thunbergii a yellow and a so called "pink" one bought this season and yet to flower when we will see just how pink it is, according to its lable should be nice though probably with that orange tint still there - something different anyway. Will find the name for you - its Pink ....?.I have a bit of a prob remembering names on new stuff being bought still, the older ones are indelibly printed on my  "bit of grey"( well mostly anyway). 

06/07/2013 at 10:53

Hi B-L. Ref those slugs and snails again. I totally forgot to mention this yesterday - its something I read of in a book years ago, have practised it with good results.  It means sacrificing a little sleep but well worth it. The idea is to go into the garden in the early hours with a good torch ( and bucket) and have a thorough look at your vulnerable plants. At this time of year with it staying lighter later and dayligh treturning earlier I suppose sort of one'ish. Any evening I guess since they are big eaters but probably a dampish one would give best results. I have caught a lot of villians this way - another thing is that they cannot do a bunk when they see/hear you. Look under the leaves and into the base as I believe they can just drop off and down. Just a thought and hope you do  not mind. Happy hunting and when caught take them for a really good long walk into the fields where they will provide a snack for other creatures.

06/07/2013 at 11:48

Hi Salino. Just found its lable - the pink Hemerocallis is called "Luxury Lace" I just cannot find those plant lists I mentioned . Firm favourites with me are the true Geraniums and three of my favourites are flowering now Thats psilostemon with the black eyed magenta flowers, a nice tall semi dbl blue(?)  called I think grandiflorum violaceum plenum ( will have to check) and a smaller version of this - still going away like goodho is.sanguineum -  renardii and sylvaticum are done as is pheum (sp) - have trimmed back so may get a repeat. Another plant just finished is a nice oldie -  Asphodeline lutea with its yellow star flowers produced at random on its stems. It will ( for me) now look shabby for a while with its foliage dying away  but this will be replaced by/in Autumn ready for next year. Do you grow the Liatris?  - I like its habit of flowering from the top of the stem down rather than from the bottom up -  Astrantias now flowering and looking good as always - this one I have is major but I did at one time have rubra with reddish flrs. Its all happening but the problem here for sure is keeping it going due to this dreadful dryness. Hav ean unusual herbaceous Salvia to tell you about later, it is too just beginning to flower, this is  a biggy - can be 4-5 ft tall.

06/07/2013 at 12:34

Hi Salino. Ref the "Picotee "(?) Rose you looked up for me on description but no photo. Heres some pics - not good but look at them as they are, the dark areas are darker red - the lighter are a light

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26856.jpg?width=424&height=350&mode=max

pink  with this mixture all over. Perhaps you can name it for me now with a photo to look at. Many thanks. 

06/07/2013 at 12:45

...I'm not sure about that rose Keen 1.....too much sunlight, can't see the flower colour properly...   will have a look around later, the leaves have a modern look to them..perhaps someone else meanwhile.. might have a guess.. does it have much scent and how tall is it roughly?

haven't grown Liatris spicata for a long time, nor Asphodeline lutea... I found I wasn't keen on upright spikey things...that look rather stiff.... although I dare say I've got something like that here and there...

one of my favourite grasses is Pennisetum orientale... it's very slow this year..well I did move it earlier... but needs lots of hot sun and so it's just getting going... also I'm going to move it back to where it was before.. I can see it was happier there...  I think when it starts it's one of the best flowering plants in the garden but often overlooked being a grass...lovely fluffy things...I think it goes well with Gaura's... amongst many others..   do you grow it...?

06/07/2013 at 12:54

Hi Salino. I may have in the past but if I did it has now passed out of my memory. That Rose is as it looks with that deep maroon over light pink in an all over but circular pattern. That name is not vital and thanks for your time.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26858.jpg?width=564&height=350&mode=max

Took this pic yesterday - don't know how it will arriive.

06/07/2013 at 13:21

Hiya folks.....ecky thump!  All deep stuff today.....and on top of the lions thrashing Australia.  Loved in Aussie as a kid but always want to beat them.  Did I say we won? Ha ha

One of my favourite grassss from August onwards is pennisetum VILLOSUM. This is a billowing type grass with huge caterpillar-like whitish flowers and is superb. Maybe tender  many places ..

Im not anti-hard lamdscaping....as I said I've done plenty of it....I just prefer the softer side of gardenImg.  l liked Love your garden with Titchmarsh this week and without hard landscaping it would not have worked.  I guess I do grow a large number of plants but I always allow room for full development of each one

Keen which salvia is it?  I grow several varieties..at least a dozen tender ones.  

I venture out late at night too with torch and salt solution.   After 11 pm for me is when I catch the blighters.  Been doing it for few weeks now and I see fewer and fewer each time and still, no damage to my hostas etc.  it's best and safest way to deal with slugs n snails.

06/07/2013 at 13:31

Oh, keen.  I understand what you say about grass.  And you are right.  Moles must be a nightmare.....don't have that problem here.  And if it's dry....and we get a drought (fantastic if we do).......the lawn will look pretty awful.  So far lawn is lush, dark green and almost "tactlile" .....will go out there later ....so im proud of it.  I guess it can be a chore....mine are cut twice a week but it's easy and quick and the resulting smell is essentially summer....but I actually enjoy it

This thread must have the longest posts ever!

06/07/2013 at 13:32

Hi Verdun. Glad the "Slug Hunt" works for you - I always got good results and apart from that a look at what else is going on by torchlight is often an eyeopener. Ref that Salvia it is I feel sure Salvia sclarea and I have had them in the garden for ages, biennial I think but self sows and that is how I have kept it going though always leaving it to its own devises. Most handsome plant but does "pong" a bit strongly if bruised or even brushed against. Well a little jest comparison could be -  so do Pigs at times but I love a bacon sandwich. I will certainly look into  grass thing, sounds good. I have often read of many of them and as i said do grow a few. IThink I am correct in identifying one that was growing on the "spare plot" when we came here - think its called Carex pendula - largish - 3ft tall and broadly round, very nice pendulous grass sprays going outwards and round. _ you perhaps will identify it for me or put me right - could send a pic if necessary. Have a good w/e if I dont see you again meantime.

06/07/2013 at 13:36

Hi. Verdun. When I had grass I always enjoyed it - at the first two properties where although dry still it was at least sound. This here is really awful but it is green and the missus insists on keeping it so fair enough - I do my best with it. I never found mowing a chore, just taking the mower for a walk as I said before - that smell and some nice stripes was a bonus as you say.

06/07/2013 at 13:40

Hi Verdun. Something I forgot to say ref these being the longest posts ever - I am wondering if I am going to be told of by the mod/admin. Hope not cos I do like a natter to like minded folk and love to sing the whole song ..

06/07/2013 at 17:07

Oh well. Looks like Tennis has taken over. Get back to me later if you wish.

06/07/2013 at 18:30

...nice picture of the bee... can't make out the flower... is it real?

no need to worry about the posts... we live in an age of 'text speak'... I'm not sure many people read much beyond 3 or 4 lines... pictures tend to speak a thousand words wouldn't you say..?  just carry on as you normally do Keen 1... there's nothing worse than something cramping one's style... let it rip...!

Pennisetum's I think, are plants that really do look better with hard landscaping which we've all been talking about... to me they don't look right cascading down into soil.... Villosum in particular is quite heavy and droops... all these look best - to me - flowing over some low wall...paving..shingle and suchlike... that's how I prefer them....

Pennisetum setaceum has not proved hardy for me, even when I gardened on the south coast... a disappointing plant...that promised so much...

'Hameln' I wasn't that keen on...think one or two others forget the names...

talking of latin, shall we have our lesson for today?....

Phlox divaricata subsp. laphamii  'Chattahoochee' - it just rolls off the tongue...

and a whopper for such a dainty little plant...shown here... not so good so far this year.. I've had it bigger...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26873.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

06/07/2013 at 18:36

...the Salvia's I like are the tender sub-shrubs that I know as Salvia grahamii or Salvia Microphylla... usually red flowers all summer.. on attractive little bushes that can grow quite large if they over winter.... I do love these very much...

06/07/2013 at 19:58

No keen.. Love these threads.  Theyre stimulating.  Got to be sharp though.  You and Salino are on good form.

Think carex pendula is a weed down here......well, actually it is.  Not overly keen, Keen!

Salino.  Maybe it's the way I tell 'em....or plant  em but villosum doesn't droop for me.  It's like a fountain.  Surprisingly...for me at first....I found it likes a bit of water.  Maybe that's why it drooped for you?

06/07/2013 at 20:19

...probably... east facing..heavy clay... it wasn't the best for these types of grasses... I think it was too rich too actually...  I have different ground now for such things...

incidentally, this will have to wait as I'm busy tomorrow... but I have a grass in my garden, and I like it very much, but I'm pretty sure it's another case of wrong labelling... I bought it as Festuca glauca Elijah Blue... but I'm pretty sure it isn't this one... I've grown Helictrotrichon before and wasn't keen on it.. I hope it's not one of these.. to me the foliage does not look the same... and Helictrotrichons grow a good size if I remember... the foliage here is quite compact.. but the flower stems are not stiffly upright as I think they should be for E. Blue... they cascade and wave about... quite attractively I must say..

...if I post a photo tomorrow evening perhaps you could tell me what it is... thank you...

06/07/2013 at 21:36

Helictotrichon is similar colour to most of the festucas glaucas I think.  I liked it until it regularly developed rust.  Salino, it still may be a festuca but a different variety of it.  Before Elijah Blue i grew varieties ....cannot remember their names... That were less blue but more lax in habit. Another  "grass" I like is actually a carex....testacea.  I love this one.  Evergreen olive colour and gently sways in slightest of breezes.  

161 to 180 of 211 messages